UD gives students a better global perspective than any other college

We weren’t just the first university with a study abroad program

I’m sure we all know of someone at UD who has studied abroad or has gone abroad for an academic reason. It’s common for colleges, and Delaware is certainly no exception.

We weren’t just the first university to have a study abroad program, but we supply all of our students with a global perspective. There are so many opportunities to get involved even if you decide not to go abroad.

A semester abroad 

This is probably the most popular way to go abroad or to expand your global perspective. The study abroad program goes to over 40 countries through 70 programs every year. There are even short term programs for three or five weeks during the winter and summer.

If you still can’t find something that fits you in your major, then why not do a student exchange for a semester. Did you know that a study abroad program through Delaware used to go to Antarctica? Sadly, they’ve discontinued that one.

UDaB 

Also known as the University of Delaware alternative Breaks program. Not only does UDaB broaden your perspective and outlook through week long service trips, but you will meet some amazing people who also have a passion for service like you do. UDaB offers a ton of trips over spring break and two over winter break. With a vision of community engagement and with community partners, the ultimate goal is to make students active global citizens. UDaB has grown so much since it has been an organization at UD in the past six years, and has been one of my favorite parts of college.

Research abroad 

Did you know that you can do research abroad? Well at UD you can! Current grants and contracts offer students the chance to continue their research through various programs. The institute for global studies also promotes fellowship opportunities to research thorough programs outside of UD.

The Green Program: Centered on sustainability and anything ‘green’

As someone who studied abroad in Iceland through The Green Program, I can genuinely say that it is one of the most amazing and unique study abroad programs. Though not offered directly through UD, I am forever grateful that I heard about this from a few girls in my sorority. Centered on sustainability and anything ‘green,’ The Green Program offers short term learning with transformative and adventurous opportunities in Philadelphia, Peru or Iceland.

The experience is impactful and makes you realize that “the world is your classroom.” Not to mention that in every program, you work on an innovative capstone project reflecting how your group wants to make a difference and have a sustainable future.

Engineers Without Borders

This humanitarian and non profit organization through the Delaware chapter is open to anyone, not just engineering majors. Currently, EWB is working on two projects that will be implemented in the Philippines and Malawi. The goal of this fantastic organization is to create sustainable solutions in developing countries with economic, cultural or political differences.

Build On

As a community non-profit organization, Build On aims to break the poverty and low literacy cycles both locally and abroad through service. Students have participated in service projects in the local Newark area as well as fundraise to build schools in other countries. In the past three years, Build On has funded three schools, while sending students to participate in helping to build them!

University of Delaware