‘I don’t think classrooms should be safe spaces – it would be impossible for me to teach’

We asked UD professors their opinions

‘Safe-spaces’ and ‘trigger-warnings’ have beenĀ argued, defended, reworded and decontextualized. Some believe there is an undeniable validity to these ideas, while others claim our society, for a lack of better words, pulled them out of their ass.

It is vital that college campuses, in particular, have conversations about what their Universitys’ beliefs on safe spaces and trigger warnings are. Each individual campus culture, in many ways, is defined by the views on these topics. Yet, the University of Delaware has not made it clear what we, as a school, believe.

In the absence of an answer, I turned to faculty on our campus to have them express their personal opinions on the topic.

Professor Laura Ahlstrom: Economics

I think that trigger warnings are appropriate in the classroom, particularly for topics that may be traumatic or offensive. At the same time, I don’t believe that controversial or difficult subjects should be avoided, and students should be able to express their opinions and beliefs in the context of an appropriate educational environment.

To me, trigger warnings should be used to encourage students to think about how they say something, the language they use, etc. rather than to silence speech altogether.

Professor Richard Hanley: Philosophy

I’m all for safe spaces as long as they don’t encroach on the academic mission of a university. So generally I don’t think classrooms should be safe spaces. It would be next to impossible for me to teach my courses if I didn’t challenge, and sometimes upset, my students.

I have done my best to adjust to modern concerns such as using examples with more diversity of characters, but sanitizing philosophy to avoid causing offense or triggering trauma is unacceptable to me.

I routinely deal with controversial matters in my own research, for instance sexual misconduct, harassment and assault; and it’s not like I’m oblivious to the real concerns about such things (my wife is an activist). Finally, lest I sound like a curmudgeon, I’m not a conservative, and on balance disagree with many of those on the right who complain about the wholesale coddling of young minds by campus liberals. My students are routinely very capable and discerning individuals who love nothing better than a good mind-expanding discussion.

Professor Stephanie Kerschbaum: English

I believe that learning happens when students are able to be fully present in class, and if some amount of preparation — through knowing a particular kind of content is coming up, or that a particular topic will be discussed — can help a student be more fully present, or to take care of themselves so that they can engage with that material, then that is important for me to do.

I don’t see this as coddling–I do not think it is impossible to anticipate every possible trigger, and those who have experienced traumatic events may not be able to avoid everything that sets off a reaction. But for me, offering a heads up, and a means for people to do what they need to protect themselves or prepare for a difficult discussion, is worth doing if it enables more people to participate and be engaged.

Are these the opinions you believed our faculty held? Regardless, if safe spaces or trigger warnings are topics that personally effect your life, talk to your professors on their stances.

University of Delaware