I can tell exactly what you’re like by what you’re drinking in morning lecture

If you have an energy drink, hang in there

It’s a Monday morning and all around you, people are carrying their caffeinated drinks as if they hold the secret to immortality. For college kids, we survive on caffeine and bad choices, and I believe the amount of caffeine we need is heavily related to the current state of our lives. What does that drink sitting on the edge of your desk say about you?

Hot Tea (with lemon and a little bit of sugar, of course)

You probably did yoga this morning or at least gave your body a decent stretch to warm up for the day. While you got ready for the day, you had a cup of water doing its rounds in the microwave. Simple and quick, you tossed a tea bag in on your way out the door and headed to class perfectly on schedule.

Iced Coffee

You left for class five minutes later than you should have but still stopped for coffee, even though you realized halfway through the line that it was not your best decision. By the time you made it to the register, your class was about to start, but you still desperately needed that caffeine boost. Because hot coffee is brewed by Satan himself, you order your go-to for morning rushes like this. You get your iced coffee and show up ten minutes late to class – it’s okay. We’ve all been there.

Personal Monogrammed Thermos

With the help of your Keurig, you brewed coffee at home while you curled your hair before class. You have a wide selection of K-Cups at home, just in case you feel like mixing it up one morning. You’ll never be caught waiting in line (or paying the outrageous prices) at Starbucks, because you’re a fully functioning adult who knows how to budget her money (sometimes).

Reusable Water Bottle

Maybe you were blessed as a child by a fairy godmother, or it’s possible that you’re a superhuman. Either way, you got at least eight (actually restful) hours of sleep last night and don’t need the caffeine fix to get you through your morning. It’s highly probable that all of your friends resent you before eleven A.M., but that’s okay. You’ve got your life mostly in order, and your body thanks you for it.

Venti Skinny Caramel Macchiato With an Extra Shot

You’re the kind of person who plans their day around naps and coffee breaks. While it might take you a half hour to get ready for classes, you’re willing to spend that much time waiting in line for the perfect Starbucks beverage. It’s a good thing that you left for class twenty-five minutes before it starts, because you’ll spend half of that time explaining your order to the barista and an extra few minutes as they try to make sure they get it right (you wanted skim milk and extra syrup, right?).

Hot Chocolate

So, you don’t like the taste of coffee (it’s disgusting, who would want to drink that bitter sludge?), but everyone was going to Starbucks on their way to class. You’re probably soft-spoken and easy-going, so you tag along and order one of the few drinks on the menu that seems safe and familiar: hot chocolate. You think a lot about what other people think of you but not enough to force yourself to drink coffee. Hot chocolate is the perfect solution, because you get a drink you enjoy in a cup that people won’t be able to differentiate from coffee.

Dining Hall To-Go Coffee

It’s in that nondescript cup and tastes a bit like liquid dust with a pinch of sugar. You’re probably at the end of your money for the week (or semester), and extremely low on sleep. You really don’t have your life together, but you’re trying super hard. On the upside, maybe you had time to grab a bagel from the dining hall while you were using a swipe for low-grade coffee. Regardless, you’re just trying to get through today so you can try to do better tomorrow.

Smoothie

You’ve surpassed most of your peers, because you either had enough time this morning to wait in line at a coffee shop for a fresh smoothie or you made yourself one in the safety of your kitchen. Either way, you most likely washed your face this morning with an aloe scrub or something else cleansing instead of just splashing some cold water on your cheeks. You took inventory of your fruit choices and picked a few that would give you a natural high (if you’re a nutrition major, you really know what you’re doing).

Energy Drink

You slept through three alarms this morning and threw a baseball cap on so you didn’t have to do your hair. You have two exams today and an essay due tomorrow. The thought of coffee makes you want to throw up, and you will tell anyone who suggests it that it’s awful. Your go-to drink is a Red Bull or Monster, and even though it’s not really cost-effective, it is quick to grab from the mini-fridge next to your desk. You don’t drink it for the flavor; you drink it to survive the next forty-eight hours without sleep.

University of Delaware