Here is how to make gaining the freshman fifteen worth it

Your ultimate guide to food around UD

Returning to school means having to fend for yourself when it comes to meal time. While you may have the unlimited dining hall plan, you’re going to be sick of pizza and ice cream after about two weeks. It certainly doesn’t help that UD made the decision to slather nearly every dining hall mealĀ in buffalo sauce, but that’s a problem for another day.

Here are my go-to places for when I’m feeling something different than mass-produced all-you-can-(but-shouldn’t)-eat dining hall food.

El Diablo

When it comes to Main Street, you’ve got four different burrito stops. This one, though, is by far the best. With fresh ingredients and a wide variety to choose from, you can craft your perfect burrito or bowl (or other entrees). They even have numerous sauces to add into your masterpiece, and a fun mix of drinks to pick from to compliment your meal. If you don’t finish your hefty bowl, you can take it home and have the perfect midnight snack. (I was obviously very happy to be eating here.)

Taverna

Almost hidden in the craziness of Main Street, this Italian restaurant is the perfect spot for a nice birthday dinner or somewhere to take your visiting boyfriend/girlfriend. They have a variety of chicken and pasta entrees, along with coal-fired personal pizzas. If you’ve already had your fill of real food elsewhere, Taverna offers a mouthwatering dessert selection that includes tiramisu and mascarpone cheesecake.

Einstein Bros. Bagels

If you’re willing to leave an extra 10-20 minutes before class, it’s definitely worth hitting up Einstein’s in the ISE Lab. The line will almost always be lengthy (I recommend getting there 20 minutes before your class starts, so the group before you hasn’t finished yet), but you get to make your own coffee and avoid the struggle of explaining your skim milk/Splenda sugar needs to a barista. They also have a wide selection of bagels and spreads, including a delicious strawberry cream cheese, along with breakfast sandwiches and pastries. If you’re not a coffee person, their smoothies are also delicious and refreshing for those early mornings.

Honeygrow

A newcomer to the Main Street scene, this restaurant offers a healthier alternative to pizza and wings. They serve stir fry and salads, but you get to choose what goes inside (including what kind of noodles/lettuce, veggies, protein and sauces). They also offer fruit salads known as their honey bar. While fruit certainly doesn’t come cheap, their main menu will leave you feeling full and a little bit healthier than before.

Wandering Chef

Located outside of Smith Hall, this food truck has become a staple in my post-class routine. Sure, you might have to brave the elements (those Tuesday rain storms don’t do well with outdoor eating), but it’s worth it. Famous for their dumplings, they also offer a variety of sandwiches and other entrees. Their menu changes each day, based on the fresh ingredients found at local markets. If you’re a first-time customer, make sure you get the dumplings. They’re life-changing.

Margherita’s Pizza

For those times when you just want something greasy and delicious, this pizzeria is the spot. If you don’t feel like walking to Main Street, you can order from here online and even make use of some daily specials. They have your basic pizzas and other Italian dishes, along with a variety of appetizers to get through those weird breaks between dining hall hours.

Klondike Kate’s

If you’re looking for somewhere to take a group of friends who never agree on anything, this restaurant will satisfy almost anyone. They have a wide variety of choices, including burgers, seafood entrees, pizza and more. While you might have to wait a little for a table, going for an early dinner will give you some time to enjoy the food and company. Make sure not to wait too long, though, because it becomes quite the hot spot for twenty-somethings after dark.

Cheeburger Cheeburger

Unlike Kate’s, this restaurant isn’t going to offer you as many choices. If you’re in the mood for a burger with some possibly excessive toppings, though, this place can do that for you. They give you the power to decide how much you want (including the size of your burger) and which toppings you want to include. If you’re not into burgers but still want to join friends heading here, you’ll have plenty of milkshake options to get you by. The vintage vibe here is the perfect atmosphere for a chill night with friends.

Duck Donuts

I didn’t know what a donut was supposed to taste like until I tried this stop on Main Street. Freshly baked – right in front of you – they’re soft, warm and delicious. You get to pick your frosting(s) and topping(s), making it the perfect morning treat or late-night snack. They’re so reasonably priced, you could even pick up a dozen and become the favorite roommate in your apartment on Sunday morning.

Homegrown

Similar to Honeygrow, this is a nice alternative to other places when you’re trying to apologize to your body for whatever happened the night before. They offer numerous vegetarian and gluten-free options, along with your typical sandwiches, soups and salads. My personal favorite item on the menu is the “Pot O’ Fries” that is exactly what it sounds like – a flower pot full of French fries. Their menu can run a little pricey, especially if you’re going for something particularly healthy and fresh, but it’s a nice change to strictly junk food.

University of Delaware