All of the reasons we’re glad to be back at UD

You can take the girl out of Delaware

Main Street

Newark is one of the best college towns in the US. With Main Street running straight through the middle of campus, there is the perfect college-town vibe. Between Honeygrow, Panera, and Dunks, there is alway something for Sunday mornings – especially when you are not prepared to cook.

Not to mention there are now four – yes four – Mexican food places, thanks to Qdoba joining Chipolte, California Tortilla, and El Diablo.

The Green

Who doesn’t enjoy walking down the Green between a bunch of stressful classes? The Green is one of the most famous parts of UD, and it’s a huge factor in why the campus is so beautiful. From lying out and tanning, to the changing colors in the fall, to the famous cherry blossoms every spring, it’s definitely a campus favorite.

Plus it’s lined with beautiful brick academic buildings (Cough Cough the fab Memorial Hall), while also being close to Main Street.

The Fountain

We’ve all probably jumped in it at one point or another. Not to mention the countless times we have photographed and Instagram-ed it after a stressful few hours hitting the books in Club Morris.

Located on the South Green, it’s a quite a walk from some parts of campus, but with benches surrounding it and a view of the Green, it’s worth it.

So beaUDiful

Dages

Ah dages – or nages if they’re at night. The famous day drinks filled with girls in sundresses and guys in Sports Jerseys, where you rally all day while enjoying the lousy frat beer and the occasional cute dage dog.

Finish off with some Chipotle and a famous post dage nap, and then your night can begin. Saturdays at UD are always something to look forward to.

Good times sitting on a roof

Newark

Newark is the perfect college town. Not only is it close to many things – the Christiana mall, White Clay Creek and Newark Reservoir – but Main Street also has lots of shopping. There’s always something to do if you’re looking to get off campus for a bit, or want to be up and about during the day.

Of course, ‘going out’ at night to different parties is easy too, as they’re all walkable and right off campus.

White Clay Creek

Clay Creek is great for biking, running, or simply taking a walk to enjoy the fresh air. Though it’s behind North Campus, and far from where many UD students live, it’s always nice to make the occasional visit. Perhaps to avoid doing homework? The creek itself is beautiful too, with a few dams and streams flowing throughout the part by North Campus.

While going jogging over a bridge in White Clay!

White Clay path near North Campus

Newark Reservoir

Nestled just north of the college part of Newark, every Blue Hen should visit the reservoir at least once in their college career. The nearly two mile walking trail around the reservoir is absolutely beautiful, so peaceful, and great for runs and walks.

The reservoir is on a hill so it can be a bit of a workout to get to, but the views from the reservoir are spectacular, as you can see the fields and other parts of Newark.

The College Independence

As cheesy and as general as this may sound, I definitely did miss the freedom and independence earned with coming to school. Delaware is certainly no exception and has given me and countless others an amazing college experience and an education that we are thankful for.

I found my major during my second semester of college, and have gained so many passions and interests from it. I’ve done things I’d never thought I would, such as study abroad in Iceland, party with my friends in town, and join a bunch of clubs. Once a Blue Hen, always a Blue Hen. It’s good to be back.

University of Delaware