Here’s why I love Perkins, and why you should too

The Sunday mornings spot for recovering from Saturday nights

With the variety of restaurants and shops around UD’s campus, it’s almost ironic that my favorite place is a student center. But nestled in between freshman dorms and a short walk from the newest dining hall, it’s the perfect little spot.

I stand by the fact that Perkins offers the right atmosphere to hang out, study, or grab food between classes.

There’s a number of reasons why I find myself at Perkins most Saturday afternoons or even late into the evening – the eccentric music collection of the nearby radio station as the soundtrack to my second semester.

The food

There’s Dunkin Donuts for that early (or late-night) caffeine fix. And even though the food court has some strange hours, it’s a decent alternative to the dining hall if you catch them while they’re open. The chicken sandwiches and curly fries at the grill are the perfect meal when you’re on hour three of writing a research paper and need good ole’ fashioned comfort food.

Even if you’re not planning on setting up camp in Perkins, you can always grab a quick milkshake to brighten up a long day!

The lounge chairs

These chairs are the comfiest seats on campus, especially if you’re lucky enough to grab a booth in the basement. There’s the cushioned comfort you’d get from your bed back in the dorm, but you’re significantly less likely to doze off while working in the student center.

Just make sure to keep the music playing if you’re in the basement. Zone out for too long, and you might just wake up four hours later with some really sloppy Chemistry notes.

The charging stations

Perkins has cell phone charging stations that you can use while you’re waiting for your friend to grab Dunkin, so you can make sure you’ll be able to scroll through Instagram and stalk all of your ex’s pics . . . I mean check out that revised syllabus your professor uploaded this morning.

If you’re lucky, you’ll find a table by a full outlet to charge your laptop for the day, too!

Even the bathrooms are great

Hello privacy! You’re going to get sick of communal bathrooms pretty quickly, even if you’re only sharing with a handful of suite mates. Hidden in the basement of Perkins, these bathrooms are big enough to set up an air mattress inside. Or at the very least, have a couple of minutes to pee in peace.

All of the free stuff

Perkins is full of free stuff (all the time!). There’s constantly free food, shirts, stickers and other knickknacks in Perkins – and as college students, we all know how exciting this is. Make sure to keep an eye out for posters around campus that will let you know when the next big event is. You’ll want to cash in on all of the goodies while you still can!

If you’re willing to brave the crowds on a Friday night, you’ll probably wind up with a monogrammed tumbler or a Henna tattoo without paying a cent (besides that big bucks tuition).

University of Delaware