Everything you need to know before your first semester at UD

‘Willard Hall is a bitch’

You’re excited. Mom and dad are dropping you off at UDel for for your first day. You’ve been prepping all summer, and you think you’re prepared for whatever comes your way. Only you’re not.

It’s not called UDEL

It is UD. Don’t make that mistake more than once.

If you’re planning to get Starbucks in Smith, you should go during class

The Starbucks is in Smith Hall. Wait let me rephrase that – the only Starbucks on campus is in Smith Hall. At its best it’s a great place to get a caffeine fix before class – at its worst it is a chaotic line of sleep-deprived college students winding around the building.

Go during class; I guarantee there will still be a line, and you might miss some notes, but if you want your machiatto you have to make sacrifices.

Always bring a fracket to parties during the winter months

Fracket (noun): A worn, often unattractive jacket worn to frat parties during the winter months to ensure that one stays warm despite their crop tops.

Hide said frackets in bushes, cabinets etc.

When they’re all laying on the table, it can be easy to pick the wrong one “accidentally” in your drunken state. I recommend bushes behind the house or hard to reach cabinets.

If you are planning to steal said fracket, make sure it isn’t a nice one

Almost everyone has a stolen fracket. Most are hideous gray hoodies, but every once in a while you’ll find a diamond in the rough. I’m not sure who would be dumb enough to bring their Vineyard Vines Pullover to a frat party, but if you happen to see one, do the right thing and leave it.

It will rain on Tuesdays

Rainy Tuesdays are real, and they will happen. I don’t have any further explanation.

Always bring a bag to parties

Make sure it is a cross-body bag. Keep it on the whole time. People who keep their keys on hair ties are in for a rude awakening.

Just trust us

Always pet the therapy dogs on the green

There are tons of therapy dogs sprawled on the green at least once a month, take advantage.

And study on the green

It’s beautiful.

And take pictures of the green

It’s just so beautiful.

Make sure you leave a party at least 30 minutes before 2 am to ensure you get to the POD on time

Don’t wear nice shoes to dates/ frat parties

RIP to my converse, and wedges, and heels…

flip-flops work

If you have a class in the basement of Memorial, use the hidden doors on either side of the building

The basement of memorial is confusing, and often daunting. But if you approach it from the side doors,  you’ll find that it’s much more easy to navigate because you won’t have to spend ten minutes finding the first floor entrance to the basement like I did.

Make sure you see the frat guys drinking the wine they put out on Wednesdays

You can never be too careful

Willard Hall is a bitch

It’s super far from campus and  there are four floors. Leave with plenty of time – I’m praying for you.

Go to at least one FAC, but don’t miss an important class for it

FAC (noun): Acronym for Friday After Class; a dage, but on Fridays. Most people will skip pretty much anything for them, but you have to make sure it’s worth it.

Dages will get busted easily

They typically start around 2 or 3, so don’t be late. A dage is a day drink, aka tons of college students outside with open alcohol and blaring music. A deaf cat could bust the party.

Takeout from Russell is actually amazing and you should eat it on the turf

I had something against Russell for quite some time, perhaps because it’s so much smaller than the coveted Caesar Rodney. But toward the end of the year, my friends and I found that taking out food from Russell was a luxury. It made dinner time faster and more convenient, and we could eat wherever we wanted.

(Side note) Always make sure you pay attention to the turf, a lot of times there’s free food

Free food, moon bounces, photo booths, giant inflatable bubbles to hit each other with. There are endless possibilities on the turf, so keep an eye out.

If you’re a guy who’s not planning on rushing, your social life will be a different story

Don’t take this the wrong way. I have nothing against guys who aren’t in frats – honestly I prefer them. But unfortunately, UD is a party school and a frat school. You will not be able to get into parties. There’s nothing wrong with this – partying isn’t everything. But if you’re set on a crazy college experience, I would consider rushing.

Wait for your omelette in Caesar Rodney, no matter how long it may take

It may take an hour. I am not exaggerating, but I am also not exaggerating when I say it’s worth the wait. Good things take time.

Always take advantage of Caesar Rodney

Caesar Rodney over Pencader every day. Not only is CR brand new, but it’s the fourth largest dining hall in the country. Enough said.

Do not study on the first floor of the library

Hugh Morris Library, or Club Morris as we so fondly call it, actually resembles a kind of club on the first floor. Maybe not a dance club, but a book club for sure.

If you want to do some real studying, go upstairs, the only thing you’ll hear is exasperated sighs and keyboard clicks.

Beware of bikers

Bikers at this school are ruthless. They have actually injured several students. If you see one, steer clear.

Some days the campus will smell like shit

Our campus is on a farm, and it has its consequences.

Don’t get pre-made sandwiches from Perkins

Next to the registers in Perkins, you will find pre-made sandwiches in plastic containers. They may seem convenient but I can assure you that they are not. Paying eight dollars for a stale buffalo chicken wrap is how I learned the hard way.

The first sink in the Lane 3 bathroom is way too powerful, do not use it

Just thought I’d throw that one in there.

University of Delaware