Dear high school seniors: Come to UDel

Making the hardest decision of your life a little easier

Dear potential future Blue Hen,

Congratulations on your admittance to the University of Delaware! May 1st is right around the corner, and soon you’re going to have to officially decide where you want to spend the next four years. If you weren’t already sold on the idea of coming here, these are just a few of the reasons why UD is the best school out there.

We have the largest dining hall

As of Fall 2015, our campus is home to the largest dining hall on the entire east coast of the United States. Caesar Rodney dining hall, the Fresh Food Company, has 13 different dining stations, including a Mongolian station, a gluten-free station, a vegan station, and a kosher dining station to accommodate all of UD’s students. In other words, it’s virtually impossible to go hungry on this campus.

If for some reason none of the options a particular day interest you…

Main Street will fill all your desires

Running through the heart of UD’s campus, Main Street supplies students with anything from major chain restaurants like Chipotle and Grotto’s, to Newark favorites like Klondike Kates and Newark Deli Bagel, to retail stores like Walgreens and Grassroots. Other state schools are surrounded by commercial businesses, and it becomes overwhelming. UD has the perfect balance of campus life and town feel.

If you ever get tired of being on campus, then you can…

Study abroad, you can go anywhere

The University of Delaware hosted America’s first study abroad program in 1923, and continues to be a national leader in these programs for students. Full semester trips are available, as well as winter and summer session trips.

Delaware students are currently studying in places like Germany, Peru, Greece, Rome, and Thailand. Unlike other universities whose programs are not as well developed, UD’s study abroad programs truly foster international growth.

UD students strive to change the world, which is why we host…

UDance

Partnering with the The Andrew McDonough B+ (Be Positive) Foundation, the University of Delaware hosts this annual event to fight childhood cancer.

This year, more than 100 student organizations on campus got involved, raising $1,701,667.81!

UDance is something everyone on campus gets involved in, and we are one of only a handful of schools that has an event like this. Even when we’re not out doing events such as these, students here enjoy their academics, and you will find many students cozied up in…

The ISE Lab is amazing 

I know, no one wants to think about the academic parts of college. And if you’re like me, you are dreading the idea of taking college-level math and science courses. However, the ISE Lab is an amazing, high tech resource for anyone hoping to engage in undergraduate research, or just fulfill their lab requirement in one of the nicest science and technology buildings in the country. If you’re like me, you mainly love the ISE Lab because it is home to our very own Einstein Bagels, and has tons of quiet study spots.

There are cute squirrels everywhere

If none of what I have written has sold you on coming here, then sit back, relax, and be ready to be wowed. UD’s campus is the home to a plethora of friendly, adorable, and spunky squirrels. These little guys have become famous on our campus, being the topic of conversation often on our Yik Yak feed. You can’t find squirrels like this anywhere else.

In all seriousness, the University of Delaware is an amazing place to get your four-year degree. You’ll never be bored on campus; there is always something going on that you can get involved with. The academics are world-renowned, and we have some of the best professors in the world.

We hope to see you in the fall sporting blue and gold. Go Blue Hens!

University of Delaware