Prank calls made to sorority by man claiming to be Elliot Rodger’s brother

He said he wanted to ‘finish what Elliot started’

At 4:20pm on Friday the 13th, an anonymous phone call was made to an unnamed sorority and the Santa Barbara Student Housing Co-op.

According to representatives of the Santa Barbara Student Housing Co-op, the first caller to contact the Santa Barbara student Housing Co-op said they were, "looking for Elliot Rodger" and that they would "finish what Elliot Rodger started." When asked if they wanted to leave a message, several masculine voices replied, "we will honor you brother."

The sorority member who spoke to the men said that she engaged them in conversation and the individuals on the other end of the line started laughing, which she took as an indication that it was "clearly" a prank phone call.

Neither organization has received threatening phone calls in the past, however according to the police similiar phone calls have occurred without incident.

The prank call was traced to a man in San Diego claiming to be Elliot Rodger, according to UCPD. The police have been able to confirm the man was not his brother, however they have yet to release a name. According to police these calls are not uncommon and unfortunately happen “all of the time.”

The phone call is made in reference to Elliot Rodger, who killed six people and injured fourteen others in Isla Vista on May 23, 2014. Since the incident he has amassed a cult following due to his manifesto.

UC Santa Barbara