SBCC student hospitalized after contracting meningitis

It’s often spread through exchanging saliva – kissing, sharing utensils, cups, and cigarettes

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department has informed UCSB Student Health that a Santa Barbara City College (SBCC) student living in Isla Vista was admitted to the hospital last week and diagnosed with Meningoccocal meningitis, Type B (MenB).

According to an email sent to all UCSB students a student at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo also suffered with the disease just last month. MenB is a serious disease that can lead to severe consequences including death.

The message warns Meningitis is often spread through exchanging saliva, such as kissing, sharing utensils, cups, and cigarettes. UCSB students are warned to take precaution and be aware of the common symptoms of Menb: sudden fever, severe headache, stiff neck, vomiting, rash, and confusion. If any of these symptoms appear, students are strongly urged to seek immediate aid from either UCSB Student Health or a local urgent care/hospital.

Although the SBCC student’s roommates and close contacts have been given antibiotics and no other cases have been reported since, UCSB Student Health encourages students who have not yet received vaccination for MenB to do so ASAP. The cost is covered by Gaucho Health Insurance or can be billed to BARC accounts.

UCSB Student Health Office Hours:

8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday

9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday

UCSB Student Health Website: http://studenthealth.sa.ucsb.edu/home

UCSB Student Health 24/7 Nurseline: (800) 539-1387

UC Santa Barbara Hide Images