If UCs were a country, we’d be one of the best Olympic teams in the world

Only four nations beat us

Winning 31 medals in the Rio 2016 Summer Olympics, 18 of them gold, University of California athletes managed to demonstrate their relevance on the largest competitive platform in existence today.

…But they also did much more.

On top of that, they represented our universities gracefully, and on a national level in a manner that reflects the drive of each individual student who is privileged enough to call themselves a member of the University of California community. They displayed confidence, integrity, and determination, and they represented our universities with both class, and dignity. (Unlike some others…)

UCSB’s Barbara Nwaba competed in her first Olympics ever (Photo courtesy of U.S. Track & Field)

Competing in gymnastics, water polo, marathon, and swimming, the collegiate athletes shocked onlookers as they competed in arguably the largest sports’ moments of their entire lives.

UC- Irvine’s David Smith took home a bronze

Somewhere in Rio, and with a sort of relaxed confidence, the UC athletes managed to stay within themselves and did exactly what they have been trained to do best – compete.

After a tremendous amount of work and determination, the UC Olympians also managed to add another five silvers and eight bronzes to their already hefty medal-stack of 18 golds. That’s more medals than Canada, Italy, and Australia brought home this year. (Please take a second to think about that).

Personally, I’d say that’s not too bad for a college system with a population just under the size of the country of Vanuatu (wherever the hell that is).

Both UCLA and UC Berkeley excelled on the main stage after tremendous performances both in the water and on the mat, with three incoming UCLA freshman taking home medals. One UCLA marathoner even managed to do a couple of push-ups at the finish line.

Winning more medals than all but four countries, it seems as though the UC system continues to act as a national focal point for athletics, as well as for academics.

After showing great promise this year at the 2016 Rio Olympics, one thing seems certain – the UC system shows no signs of slowing down on, or off the field – which if you ask me, is an exciting thing in the world of sports.

Featured image courtesy of UCLABruins.com

UC Santa Barbara