The line for Extravaganza was hundreds of people long

Some left before they could get it

The 2016 Extravaganza could have been amazing, but judging by the mammoth lines, this year’s event, while well attended, may go down as one of the least enjoyable.

Thousands of students waited in lineĀ from one to two hours, missing most of Anderson Paak and Rae Srummerd’s sets, while security was ruthless: students were asked to show their Access cards, and almost everyone was patted down for alcohol and drugs. This created insane bottlenecks at both entrances, and many people just gave up and left.

The irony is that for the several thousand people inside Harder, this was probably one of the greatest days of their lives. But this could have been so much better. Why didn’t they let everyone in before Rae Srummerd took the stage? For that matter, why were Rae the headliners? If the university knew they were going to employ this level of security, why didn’t they ask people to get there early?

Why does UCSB insist on providing “alternatives” to partying, but then clamping down so hard on students that even these events become less than stellar? I am well past my partying prime, but even I can see that the university is contributing to their own problems, and in some ways, fueling IV’s lawlessness and party culture.

This is a developing story …

UC Santa Barbara