UCSB is the third most sleep-deprived school in California

You should probably go to bed earlier

Midterm season is once again upon us.  The library is packed with overnight studiers making use of any space they can find (yes, that includes the staircases).

You run into your friends during your late night coffee run and they too tell you their plan of staying up late to attend to their academic duties.  And those that still insist on partying throughout the weekend, find themselves staying up even later.

A study conducted by the fitness tracking company Jawbone, analysed the sleeping patterns of students from over 100 universities, totaling over 1.4 million nights of sleep.  According to Jawbone, there is a strong link between learning, memory, problem solving and creativity, and good sleep.  Jawbone adds that, “poor sleep habits notoriously plague college and university students, depriving them of performing their best when it matters the most.”

According to the study, UCSB students get an average of 6.94 hours of sleep on weekdays and 7.15 hours of sleep during the weekends.  The average bedtime of UCSB students on a weekday was at 12:28 am, with the average wakeup time at 8:06 am.  The average bedtimes of students on weekends were a bit later with bedtimes averaging at 1:10 am, and wakeup times averaging at 8:59 am.  This makes UCSB the third most sleep deprived university in California.  One thing the study didn’t take into account were naps.

But, according to the National Sleep Foundation, we might not be too far off from our recommended hours amount of sleep which for young adults ages 18-25 is 7 – 9 hours.  Nevertheless, this still serves as a reminder to make a good night sleep a priority.

Maybe UCSB’s month long winter break will help in getting more sleep.

Read more about the study here.

UC Santa Barbara