Could Isla Vista be the next Flint, Michigan?

New report ranks Isla Vista 10/10 for lead exposure

Isla Vista was ranked 10 out of 10 for the risk of lead exposure in a report produced by Vox and the Washington State Department of Health.

In the conclusive survey, areas ranked one were at the least risk of exposure and 10 the most. UCSB campus was given a risk rating of 2.

The risk map was produced using census data on housing and poverty. Areas with older housing and high rates of poverty are indicators of the likelihood of lead exposure. Older and less maintained houses are more likely to have lead pipes and fixtures, which can contaminate water supplies.

IV was likely ranked 10/10 because of its high poverty rate of the US census. In this census, 67.1% of Isla Vista’s population live in poverty with a medium household income of $19,237. Areas of high poverty typically have poorer maintained and older properties.

But, thereĀ is no need to panic however. The data was not based on any tests on lead levels in water in IV and water tests carried out by the Goleta Water District suggests there is no risk of lead poisoning.

In short, you’re probably still safe drinking from the tap.

UC Santa Barbara