We asked first year Gauchos why they picked UCSB

Everyone’s got a story

Family Loyalty

First-year Hannah Elrahib had no clue where to attend college. After applying to multiple UC schools and receiving acceptances, she had options, but didn’t know much about any school besides the universities her older sisters attended, UCSB and UCR. With a little hesitation, she simply chose UCSB because of all the great stories her sister reminisced about. The three hour drive from home also helped with the appeal, as she wanted to assert her independence.

After committing and doing more research, Hannah claims to have become incredibly excited, and is, now, thrilled with her decision. “I honestly do love UCSB. I can’t imagine going anywhere else. It’s so beautiful, the people are really chill, and my friends are awesome. Who wouldn’t want to go to a school where a five minute walk will take you right to the beach?” Her biggest advice is to go to your dream school, even if you don’t think you can afford. She urges that there’s always a way, and the experience is so worth it.

Hannah Elrahib, Pre-Mathematics Major

Financial

UCSB was one of Bailey Heng’s top choice schools, alongside Occidental College. Occidental College, however, was still over $60,000, even with financial aid, so Bailey chose UCSB. At first, Bailey wanted a small liberal arts school to ensure small class sizes, but states that she learned to genuinely like the lecture style of learning. She claims to love being at a big school. “There’s so many nice people here, too, so it all worked out in the end!” Bailey comments as she reflects on her decision. Bailey promises that with faith in yourself and your choices, you can follow your heart right to UCSB.

Bailey Heng, Political Science Major

Hesitation

UCSB was not tour guide Bongi Makatini’s first choice, and it never even crossed her mind when applying to colleges. In making her final decision, however, it came down to UCSB and Loyola University-Chicago. Her parents were hesitant, considering our “party school” reputation. Bongi states, “I gave my all to convince them that I needed to go to UCSB. I saw a promising four years for myself here in such a collaborative environment.”

While students at other schools say that they’ll sabotage each other in class, or refusing to share notes, but that’s not relevant here, she contends. Everyone at UCSB genuinely wants you to succeed, and resources inside and outside the classroom are limitless. “Almost three quarters in, I have no regrets whatsoever about my decision and I love showcasing this school to all the visitors that come to tour the university.”

Bongi Makatini, Biology Major

Going with the flow

Fatima Abd El-Gawad never really considered UCSB to be in the running when applying to college. Desperately dreaming to attend NYU Abu Dhabi, with a 2% acceptance rate, the rejection letter left her heartbroken. Suddenly, UCSB was the main focus. Living in paradise, next to the sea, suddenly became her dream, and that dream became reality when she received her acceptance letter. “UCSB is honestly the best decision I’ve ever made, and that’s coming from someone that never truly saw herself as a student here,” Fatima asserts. Her advice to high school students considering UCSB is to not take it so hard if it didn’t work out with your dream school. “The school you never even thought of could end up being the school of your dreams. Go for it.”

Second Chances

Since the moment I stepped foot on campus, I knew this was the school for me. My struggle, however, didn’t come until I started my first quarter. Plagued with terrible homesickness and a not so ideal roommate, I felt so incredibly alone. I missed my family, my friends, and the familiarity of home. I even made multiple plans, all involving a transfer back to a community college at home. My mom, however, made me promise to just finish my first year.

Fast forward to now.

Three days into spring quarter, I know that I’m exactly where I need to be. The independence and maturity that I’ve gained through this entire experience is unreal. With a room change, an amazing new roommate, and a group of friends that I can count on for anything, I’m thrilled to be here. I got involved, started writing again, and everything seemed to fall into place. I opened my heart to UCSB, and UCSB opened it’s heart right back. I can’t imagine myself doing anything else.

Madison Barney, Pre-Economics Major

UC Santa Barbara