Why growing up in Waterford, Wisconsin has made me who I am today

The heart of farm country

When people describe their hometowns, they often say they are from a suburb just outside of the city, or they come from areas where going to the beach is a daily routine. Waterford is quite different, it’s far from any large city and it has lakes that engulf the wildlife and farm grounds around them. When people ask me about my hometown I think about the cows grazing in the miles and miles of corn fields, and I think about the smell of the mist on the trees in the woods during sunrise. I remember all of my neighbors and people I grew up with that have taken care of me my entire life, and I know that those people have shaped my existence.

I grew up in a small town in Wisconsin called Waterford, it has a population of about 4,000. There is only one grade school and high school which all of the kids in the neighborhood go, a downtown area with buildings from the 1800s that consist of small shops and bars, one church that the town goes to every Sunday, and houses that are located deep into the woods.

In contrast to the city life of skyscrapers and high fashion, Waterford offers a vast array of wildlife and fresh-water lakes, along with the cultures of camouflage and Packer attire. Even though Waterford consists mostly of farmland and run-down buildings, it has many beautiful aspects and cultures that have uniquely made me the person I am today. 

Waterford has that unique “small-town” vibe, everyone knows everyone

Growing up in a small town is a unique experience. You get to know everyone that lives on your street and everyone that lives in the town, seeing them everywhere you go whether it be at the store or at the gas station. You eat at the same diners that are owned by the same family for generations and you get to have your “usual” order. Most people would hate seeing everyone you know everywhere you go, but it has made me feel safe and cared for in a community that I have experienced so many changes in. 

The lakes I can see from my backyard 

Do you remember going off to summer camp as a kid to Lake Greenly? Well, as a kid I didn’t need to go off to summer camp I could just walk out my front door and jump into a fresh-water lake. I can remember taking out my raft and feeling the warn sun on my skin and the refreshing water cooling me off in the summer days. The lake behind my house was a key to the happiness in my childhood and was something that all of the kids in the neighborhood could play in together, even when we all grew up.

The town is not only known for its beauty, but for its food

Franchises and fast food is never in the cards when deciding where to eat, family-owned restaurants or bars that are owned by the people we know are always the pick. I have always the best selection of foods whether it be burgers, pizza, steak, prime rib, fish fry, and the best cheese and salami, Waterford has it all. The Cotton Exchange has the best prime rib I’ve ever had and the restaurant down the road at the Rivermoor golf course has the best fish fry on Fridays. And the best part is that you are always giving business to the locals and the people you know best.
 Wisconsin is known for having more bars than grocery stores and churches per square mile, and you guessed it Waterford is no different. Besides having amazing food, if you are 21 and over Waterford has the best pubs and bars to go out on a Saturday night or any day of the week and have a good time with your neighbors. From having locally Wisconsin brewed beer to ordering the “Bloody Mary Special”, supporting the local owners is always the way to go. 

I can’t forget the best quality of Waterford: the Packer culture

The Green Bay Packers are heroes in the town and the people of Waterford express it on a daily basis. From spray painting their silos with a green and gold “G” to putting up green and gold Christmas lights in the winter, the ultimate fans of the team never fail to show their love for the best team in the league.

Every Sunday the restaurants and bars in the town have specials for game day, and everyone all over town can be seen wearing a Green Bay Packers jersey. You wouldn’t be caught dead with a Bears jersey. Growing up in Waterford has made me a Packer fan and a fan of the game, all while having fun with the community.
Being able to call Waterford my home is something I wouldn’t trade for anything and has shaped the person that I am today. I got to become close with the community I grew up in, I got to appreciate the nature and beauty around me, and I got to learn to be a part of the Packer fan club. I feel that everyone should be able to grow up in a small town and be able to call a small part of the U.S. home.

“In small towns people scent the wind with noses of uncommon keenness.”- Stephen King

UC Santa Barbara