There will be no cops on horses this Deltopia weekend

It’s officially horse-free

It has been confirmed that the mighty police steeds won’t be found near IV during Deltopia weekend next quarter.

According to a recent Facebook post by third year, history of public policy major Ashcon Minoiefar, “Mounted units will not be patrolling Del Playa this Deltopia!”

via facebook.com

Along with other student representatives of the Isla Vista area, Ashcon addressed our community’s concern with the mounted police units that have trotted down DP the past few Deltopia weekends. In describing his conversation with Lt. Rob Plastino of the Isla Vista Foot Patrol, Ashcon said the lieutenant: “agreed that their use [of the mounted patrol units] was probably unneeded and unnecessarily aggressive.”

This demonstration of community policing comes as a relief not only to DP residents, but also to UCSB students as a whole. By eliminating this behavior, which communicates a “police-state” stigma within our community, Isla Vista’s individuality can be both preserved and upheld.

no horses allowed

So this Deltopia, when you’re struggling to force yourself through hundreds of wandering, inebriated out-of-towners – at least you won’t have to worry about getting trampled by a long train of horse-mounted police as well.

Won’t that be a relief.

UC Santa Barbara