Here’s what was at Foodchella

The headliner? Isla Vista’s Elote Man

Last Sunday, I headed out to the Associated Students Pardall Center lot, along with some other hungry UCSB students and Isla Vista residents to find out what foods Foodchella was serving up.

The name playing on the desert music festival, Foodchella was set up by the new Spoon University chapter at UCSB, to celebrate its arrival to the UCSB campus and community.

There was no doubt that the most popular vendor at Foodchella was Isla Vista’s famous Elote Man.  The line to reach his food cart was a long wait lasting between 30 minutes to and hour consistently throughout the festival.

Being dubbed the Elote Man, it makes sense that his famous elote would be the first item off his food cart to run out.  Fortunately, he still had plenty of mango with chili, lime, and salt, chicharrones de harina, and raspados!

And seriously, if you haven’t tried Mexican raspados, you are missing out in the shaved ice game.  Here we’ve got the Elote Man mixing in some tamarindo with vanilla.

Huge watermelon wedges seemed to be a hit too.

As were these saucy chicken legs.

Attendees also got to get creative by decorating their own free cupcakes courtesy of Spoon University.

They also got to mix their own Hawaiian shaved ice flavors from Kona Ice Truck.

International foods such as homemade hummus, scallion pancakes, grass jelly drink, and Vietnamese che thai were also available to those looking to explore new foods.

And of course, what is any kind of festival without good music?  Local bands The Inflatables and UCSB’s 2016 Battle of the Bands winner Savage Henry blessed the festival with some live music.

With good food, great weather, along with awesome live music, I’m sure everyone would be down for more food festivals here in IV.  Props to the first year of Foodchella!

UC Santa Barbara