How to stop losing at UCSB drinking games

In all actuality, there’s no real winning

Not that I’m in any position to offer advice on the topic – given the minimum age to consume alcohol is 21 – but I’m going to go ahead and do it anyways. One of the perks of being a writer in college, I suppose.

As you noticed from the title – we’re only going to cover the drinking games that matter – or rather… the ones most often played by students here at UCSB.

Whether you’re looking for a fresh perspective, or are looking to improve your in-game stats – we’ve got you covered.

In order of the game’s relevance to the UCSB community – the list goes as follows:

1. Gauchoball (Not “Rage Cage”)

Gauchoball at its finest

Let’s get this straight – it’s called Gauchoball. The most group oriented game on our list – Gauchoball utilizes basic traditional drinking-game elements (think red solo cups, ping pong balls, and cheap beer) to satisfy the masses. Exciting and a little bit outrageous, this one is sure to have you amped and ready for a Friday night on DP.

The Tip: Learn how to bounce a ping pong ball into a cup – it sounds ridiculous, but I have watched too many people struggle with this for me to allow it to go unsaid. You don’t have to butcher your accuracy just because the stack of cups increases in height. Stay calm, stay collected, and take precise shots…or good luck.

2. Beer Die

you have to admire the form

The only game on this list that doubles as a competitive, athletic sport – beer die remains the holy grail of Isla Vista drinking games. A game that requires quick reflexes and even swifter hands, this summer classic is sure to put your athletic abilities to the test.

The Tip: Figure out a routine “toss” that you feel comfortable with – once you find a regular tossing motion, you’ll start hitting table consistently. More die on table equals more potential for you to score points on your opponent.

3. BP (Beer Pong)

always a fan favorite

Arguably the most classic game in college party history, beer pong has withstood the tests of time. Although peaking in popularity during the colder months of Winter Quarter, BP holds a place in our hearts all year long whether we like it or not. Thank you Dartmouth fraternity brothers of the ‘50s and ‘60s.

The Tip: Learn how to finish and figure out how to hit last cup. There’s nothing worse than being up four to five cups and watching the other team come back and sink their last cup before you hit yours – it’s a little embarrassing really. Be precise, take a breath, and hit your last shot.

4. Snappa

a little bit of snappa’ to start the weekend

What is essentially beer die sitting down, snappa is another classic option for a laid back, Santa Barbara day under the sun. If you’re looking for a casual game on a Sunday afternoon, this one is never a bad call.

The Tip: Remove the chairs…and play beer die. Even though it may not be a bad call, there’s always a better call – and it’s called beer die.

5. 7, 11, Doubles

7,11, Dubs

A bit underhyped – 7,11, Doubles is guaranteed to make your Friday night a bit more exciting. Plus, you’ll finally find out who your friends really are based on the decisions they make. A cut-throat game from end to finish, 7-11 Doubles is steadily gaining popularity throughout IV.

The Tip: Unfortunately, this one’s all up to chance. Your fate is determined purely by the luck of the dice and by the choices your friends make. Hopefully you’ve made some good friends, but to be quite honest, even that will turn on you sometimes.

UC Santa Barbara