Why you should be glad UCSB is on the quarter system

SPRING BREAKKKK

You may be envious of your high school friends who went to colleges on semesters. They’ve been on summer break for weeks while you’re stuck studying for finals.

You might think they have it easier, since they have more time to prepare for their finals. But they got the short end of the stick.

Here are a few reasons the quarter system is the way to go.

You can explore more classes

You probably didn’t know what you wanted to major in when you came to college. If you thought you did, you likely changed your mind at least once.

The quarter system allows you more freedom to explore a variety of classes, since you have three terms per year instead of only two.

Even if it takes you four terms to decide on a major, you’re less than halfway done with your sophomore year on the quarter system, but you’re an upperclassman on the semester system.

The ability to figure out what you want to study sooner saves you time, money, and stress.

I still spend too much time in here

You have it easier during finals week

The quarter system does require you to stay on top of your material, but as long as you do that, your finals week will be easier than those of your colleagues at semester schools.

This is because you are tested on ten, not sixteen, weeks of material, and because the quarter system allows you to take an average of three to four classes per term to graduate on time, not the four to five classes necessary to graduate on time from a semester school.

While you may have finals more often, your finals are fewer in number and less content-heavy in what they cover.

You don’t have homework during spring break

Winter break marks a gap in terms at most schools, but spring break marks a gap in terms at schools only on the quarter system.

Schools on semesters are well into their term during spring break and students are often assigned homework during their days off.

They also have to retain what they learned despite not having been in school for up to three weeks.

We on the quarter system, however, have the luxury of relaxing during spring break and being done with all schoolwork until break is over.

You’re in classes you hate for less time

You’ve probably been in your share of classes you absolutely could not stand. Imagine being in those classes for an additional six weeks.

Sound terrible? That’s the case for students on the semester system.

They’re stuck in those dreadful lectures for nearly four months. Imagine spending that long in a class you could barely tolerate for ten weeks. Not fun.

You’re better prepared for the real world

The quarter system moves quickly and is not friendly to those who tend to procrastinate. If you fall behind, you’re going to find it difficult, if not impossible, to catch up.

Once you start the quarter system, you quickly learn to stay on top of your responsibilities.

This is valuable preparation for life after college. You’ll have experience managing your time, and you’ll be able to meet deadlines more easily than students who didn’t have to worry as much about staying on top of their work.

The quarter system may feel like a running start, but it’s immensely helpful in preparing you for the rest of your life.

UC Santa Barbara