Gauchos cling tight to top party school reputation with ΔΤΔ Silent Disco

Because no one likes a noise ticket

This past Saturday, over 300 students gathered to celebrate Isla Vista’s second Silent Disco hosted by the brothers of Delta Tau Delta Fraternity in collaboration with Night Out.

For those who are unfamiliar, DTD’s party had a multi-channel setup which allowed listeners to switch between different channels that feature different real-time DJ sets. It is a relatively new type of event, especially for party-goers in Isla Vista and is seen as a way to combat noise ordinances that require music to be off by midnight on weekends.

DJ T-Fresh lighting up the Blue Channel

UCSB Sophomore and Delta Tau Delta member, Akash Patel stated that the lack of noise produced from the event is “a great way to be cool to our neighbors, and it’s something unique”.

Guests were required to buy an e-ticket ahead of time, to ensure enough supplies. The headphones were delivered the day before and party-goers received them upon entry.  Saturday’s event featured local DJs Chris Johnston, Locant, T-Fresh, Vongloe, Bix King, Zander Tron, and Vasudev.

The event was also covered by SB Drone Life, which took aerial photos and video.

The party lasted well into the wee hours of 2 am with many reluctant to leave. Many attendees, including myself, did not realize how late the party had gone, as there had been no police officers that had come to give a noise violation. UCSB physics major and current President of Delta Tau Delta, Travis Trusty, stated that he “hopes this model can be adopted by other organizations looking to increase safety and reduce risk”.

Organizers and attendees can all agree that a new style of partying has definitely come to Isla Vista. DJ and Co-Organizer Chris Johnston said he has “even bigger plans for our next silent disco”.

UC Santa Barbara