Isla Vista Cops need to be way more chill

They’re worse than your mom

It is a Friday night at UCSB and you and your friends are getting ready to go out and rage your faces off. The normal routine starts with the pregame at eight and then hit the streets at nine. You get to a freaking epic party, but while walking there you see around seven cop cars, four foot patrols, and the infamous drunk van, where you see that one girl from your SOC 152A class peeking out the window.

Why so many cops? We all know Isla Vista is a party town, but what college doesn’t party?

Before I take a very college kid view on the the enforcement in Isla Vista,  I would like to say Policemen are good guys and I thank them for the hard job they do. But…

Leave the Freshie on The Curb Alone

The Curb, the place where your drunk dreams go to die. I don’t know anywhere else in the world where cops are actually enforcing the “curb law”, unless you are in St. Louis drinking beer out of a bucket while sitting on a curb (look it up).

99 per cent of college kids sitting on the side of the road on a Friday night are drunk, so just leave them alone. If they need help then help, but we don’t deserve tickets and the harassment for just sitting down. To be honest, one gets fatigued walking from 65 DP to FT so breaks are very useful. A “law” which started out to make a city economically viable, or to kick out homeless people and kids from sitting in front of businesses (whichever way you want to phrase it), the enforcement of the “curb law” has gone overboard. My advice to the students: don’t sit on the curb, and to the Cops: chill braaahs.

Don’t Stop the Music at 12

Tunes being too loud? The only thing that is too loud in IV is that good good. If students can’t party util 2AM on DP, then they will just go to Sabado and get their fix. So what is the point of shutting down DP parties so early? Hmmm, the only thing I can think of is maybe the fish want to go to bed early or something.

College kids just want to jam, and by cutting music on DP at 12 it reminds me of when my friend’s Moms would tell us to go to bed at 8pm. In my opinion it would be safer for partiers to stay at one house versus going from DP to Sabado then to Trigo then to Freebirds then, of course, leading to one sitting on the curb and receiving another ticket. It is a college town and it is going to be loud, get over it.

Keep Halloween and Deltopia Alive!

We aren’t zoo animals so cut the crap and take down the fencing. Yes I understand Deltopia got out of control a few years back, but no need to strangle the traditions of Isla Vista. People wait and wait to just come down here for Halloween and Deltopia – we should be honored other college students drool over the opportunity to come party with the Gauchos.

It is an experience most would love to have and law enforcement is putting a dent in two amazing events. Why isn’t okay for us to share the love, ocean, and house parties with a bunch of other hard working college kids? I mean sharing is caring, and in a weird collegey way, Deltopia and Halloween bring the Isla Vista community together making us all feel like a big old family. At the end of the day, I saw more cops this halloween than students. SB decided to bring hundreds of cops, most of whom were playing frisbee by 7/11. Really? And if that doesn’t make you upset with where tax dollars go, well…their horses took shits everywhere too.

Cops are good people too and are here to take care of us. Just like your Mom and Dad back home, a great relationship with the Police is possible, but both parties have to be willing to devote some respect.

For students, be safe, know your limits, and don’t be an asshole. For Cops, relax a little bit and do what you need to do, but don’t overdo your job. Isla Vista is a special community with great traditions so let’s keep it that way. Hey you never know, maybe one day you can grab some coffee and a donut with your local Officers.

UC Santa Barbara