We’re The Tab UCSB

And this is what we’re about

The Tab is UCSB’s newest student news platform reporting on IV/campus life and news. Our student writers will be reporting on stories that aren’t being talked about anywhere else. Delivering the latest news, in a style that is readable, unpretentious and entertaining.

Students on campus cover our stories as they happen.We favor investigative journalism and original reporting over re-writes and tired opinion pieces.

We recognise that as students, we probably are not the best placed people to talk about the Syrian refugee crisis or the volatile Chinese stock market. What we do know is our own lives and our own campus, here in our own little slice of paradise: Isla Vista.

Generally speaking, mainstream media poorly represents students and young people. Stories about student protests and politics, Greek life, even IV’s so-called “party culture” are not well characterized by middle-aged commentators.

The people that live and breathe these issues are the best people to talk about them. In short, Gauchos are the best people to talk about life at UCSB. Not the New York Times, not Chancellor Yang, not the prospectus but us – the students.

We’re upfront, in your face and about to take over campus. No pretention, no abstractions but straight talking, well-written news and opinion that get to the heart of the issue.

These issues aren’t always serious. In fact, more often than not, they are not. It could be a discussion about the over-Instagramed IV sunset or the best party houses on DP. Gauchos don’t take themselves too seriously and neither do we.

Like our own campus, The Tab doesn’t hold only one opinion. We are a platform for open debate on issues that affect students. Whether you’re Bernie or Hillary, Hana or Freebirds, beach life or Greek life – there is a place for you here.

Student journalism needs an injection of sass and we are here to deliver just that.

Join us – we’re always recruiting.

UC Santa Barbara