Huskies petition to save Co-op

UConn students want their voices heard

It came as a shock to UConn Huskies when it was announced that the University of Connecticut was seeking corporations to replace the Co-op.

The Co-op has been a staple of the University of Connecticut community for over 40 years and has provided many services to its students. Through the Co-op, students are able to buy and sell textbooks as well as purchase school apparel and items. The Co-op, however, also offers many services to its students such as purchasing bus tickets and offering bus schedule information, packaging and mailing services, gift card services, and more.

Students worry these services may not be available anymore if UConn chooses to go with a corporate replacement. They also fear that there may be layoffs with the current full-time staff and, as a result, fewer opportunities for students to work in the Co-op.

In a letter sent out by Tim Dzurilla, the Board Chair at the UConn Co-op, he said:

“If we cannot save the Co-op, then members can expect higher costs, lower services, and a lack of community loyalty.”

As a result, the amount of support to keep the UConn Co-op up and running has been immense. The board members, mainly run by students, have started a petition to save the Co-op. They note their goal is: β€œto raise as much support and awareness as possible to prevent a private retailer from taking over the UConn campus bookstore.” With over 3,000 supporters, their goal is on the right track to be achieved.

More importantly, social media has taken this petition by storm, with Huskies sharing and tweeting about the petition with the hashtag β€œ#SaveTheCoop.” They also share their pleas to save the bookstore on Facebook and Twitter, allowing other students to become aware about this ongoing issue.

In addition to sharing the petition, students are rallying together to have their voices heard. On Monday, February 8, the UConn Co-op will be hosting a rally for public support on the issue from 10AM-11AM outside of the Procurement Offices located on 3 Discovery Drive.

They will also be presenting their proposal to the selection committee. Immediately after the rally, a forum will be held to allow students to speak up on the issue and offer more ways in which students can support the UConn Co-op.

For more information on the petition and to see what you can do to save the Co-op, click here.

University of Connecticut