What’s a Buckeye? Previewing the biggest name on the Men’s Basketball schedule this season

Huskies vs. Buckeyes. Ferocious, wild dog vs. glorified acorn

The last time we saw UConn take the court was at the world’s most famous arena, Madison Square Garden, when they played #6 Maryland. A lot of students were able to make the trip to the game (as proven by the loud UConn chants filling the stadium) and many others viewed the game from campus.

What could have been a blowout turned in to a furious comeback that came just short of an upset win for the Huskies. It was disappointing to say the least, but as UConn fans it is our obligation to move on from that game and look ahead to our next opponent.

Bring on Ohio State this Saturday at Gampel Pavillion.

Since well before the season even started, December 12th was being marked off on peoples’ calendars as the biggest home game of the season. Although neither team is in the position both fan bases hoped they would be in, Ohio State is undoubtedly one of the biggest names to come to Gampel in the past couple of years. This gives us a perfect opportunity to talk a little trash before the game on Saturday.

Like I said before, Ohio State is not the team that we usually see from the Big 10 conference year in and year out. As far as I know, they have been a ranked team in championship contention for the past decade and have always been a trendy pick to go far when March comes. This year is not one of those years for the Buckeyes.

Their 4-4 record includes four straight losses, three of which were at home to unranked teams. When schools like UT-Arlington and Louisiana Tech are walking in to your house and beating you, it’s just a bad year for basketball. Unfortunately for Ohio State, it is not going to be any easier at Gampel, so in response to @BUCKEYESNO1, yes it is time to panic.

I’ll be honest, I know very little about Ohio State’s basketball team. I haven’t watched them play this year, haven’t heard of any of their players. Maybe if they still had Aaron Craft there’d be more to talk about this team. But none of this means I can’t provide undeniable evidence as to why they don’t stand a chance on Saturday.

Mascots

The easiest way to pick a game that you know nothing about is by the mascot matchup. It’s how thousands of brackets are filled out during March Madness and while it has no bearing on the game itself, how can you argue with it?

Huskies vs. Buckeyes. Ferocious, wild dog vs. glorified acorn. While it is one of the most traditional and well-known mascots in the country, the nut does not stand a chance in a battle with a husky. Unless Jonathan has a peanut allergy, the “Brutus the Buckeye” stands no chance. This one has to go to the Huskies.

Fans

At the OSU game, floor side!!!! #osu #gobucks

A photo posted by @forty12 on Dec 5, 2015 at 2:38pm PST

This one has a little more to do with the game itself; you can’t deny the impact that a loud and full stadium has on the performance on the home team. Notice anything missing in the picture above? Looks like a lot of people disguised as seats. Maybe that explains their three home losses this season. This will be Ohio State’s first true away game of the season and they should expect a not-so-warm welcome from Olliewood and the best fans in the country.

The kids are ready. #UConn

A video posted by A Dime Back (@adimeback) on Nov 17, 2015 at 4:11pm PST

Coaches

Again, this topic has slightly more of an impact on the game than the mascots do, it’s just not as fun to talk about. Ohio State is led by one Thad Matta (don’t ask, yes that is his name). Honestly, he is one of the better coaches in the country, and just like mentioned earlier, this is an uncharacteristic Ohio State team.

So, because I can’t analyze his coaching abilities negatively, I can look at this just like the mascots: who would win in a fight? KO wins in a KO in this fight. Just no more throwing papers on the court, okay coach?

Ohio State is obviously in a down year, but that does not change that this is one of the best programs in recent college basketball history. Anytime a team like this comes to Gampel, UConn students show up, and I expect the exact same thing this Saturday.

It’s the last game before winter break and everyone needs a break from studying, heading in to finals week so there is no reason not to be at this game. UConn is coming off a tough road stretch and I’m sure they would love nothing more than a loud welcome back to Storrs. Noon on Saturday, the Ohio State Acorns come to Gampel, see you there!

University of Connecticut