UCLA football commit accused of rape pushes to keep playing on high school team

If denied, his athletic scholarship could be revoked

17-year-old Marco Brewer had his life planned out for him: as a senior at Corvallis High School, he was an all-star football student and had a full ride to UCLA next year. Everything was perfect, that is, until he was accused of rape.

On May 14, he allegedly had sexual intercourse with someone who was unable to give consent because of “mental incapacitation or physical helplessness.” Now, his ability to play football in the upcoming high school season is jeopardized.

Brewer asked a judge to order the school to let him back on the team, but the decision is still pending. He argues that the school is "overstepping its authority" by banning him from playing, especially in light of other players' criminal charges that did not affect their playing eligibility.

In June, Brewer verbally committed to UCLA on a full athletic scholarship ahead of 11 other pending offers, including other PAC-12 schools and a few Ivy-Leagues. However, since he is not officially committed until National Signing Day, UCLA is unable to comment on his status.

Despite his age, Brewer will be tried as an adult due to the seriousness of the charges. He is facing five felony charges: first-degree rape, first-degree unlawful sexual penetration, first-degree sexual abuse and two counts of second-degree sexual abuse. He has pleaded not guilty.

Corvallis High School has yet to finally announce whether Brewer will play in the 2018 football season. In the meantime, rape continues to be a hot topic in the media as tragic cases go public, victims release their stories, and companies push for more awareness.

UCLA