How measure S could impact you as a Los Angeles resident

Even if you don’t think this affects you, it does

Measure S, a proposition on the March 7 ballot, is set to restrict construction and development in Los Angeles County. If voters pass Measure S, some very large development projects would be halted and major developmental restrictions will be temporarily enacted, essentially leaving housing construction at a halt.

We asked students at UCLA their opinions about possible outcomes if Measure S is passed:

Rent could actually go up

Los Angeles is one of the fastest-growing cities, but housing isn’t growing as fast as the population is. Measure S would exasperate this lack of vacant housing by halting development, making the available housing that much more valuable, driving prices up.

Bailey B, 18, Business Economics

“I’m from L.A. and housing is already so expensive, so I feel like it could get even harder to find somewhere I can afford”

Housing could get even harder to find

Measure S would further slow down housing development in Los Angeles, which means less apartments and units available for people seeking places to live.

Sarah G, 18, Undeclared

“I’ve been struggling to find an apartment since everything newer and nicer is pretty much already taken, so I think that the county should implement some sort of plan to speed up development instead”

Affordable housing developments could increase

A lot of new housing being built is considered “luxury,” which means it is not affordable for most. Measure S could be utilized to stop more unaffordable housing from being constructed and displacing Angelenos in the process.

Kylie C, 19, Communications

“I think that’s it’s super challenging for college students to find affordable off-campus housing units. Everything new and in safe neighborhoods is pricey since they’re including all these extra amenities, so I definitely think Measure S could help”

Underdeveloped areas will stay that way

Not every Los Angeles city has been given the attention and opportunity for development, and Measure S would totally hinder any chance at revitalizing some of the most-ignored areas in L.A.

Brooke D,18, Global Studies

“Living in L.A. my whole life, I’ve noticed huge differences between the quality of different neighborhoods here, and Measure S should focus on improving the underdeveloped areas and their economies”

Traffic could improve – a little

Well, kind of. Less development in already-dense areas could help stop traffic from increasing and getting even worse. However, Measure S could contribute to urban sprawl, which just means more development in less dense areas, increasing lower-traffic neighborhoods.

Samantha Wolf, 18, American Literature and Culture

“Traffic is bad enough as it is. Instead of trying to disperse the problem and create higher density elsewhere, LA needs to focus on public transport”

Whether or not you agree with the measure, it will affect you as a Bruin. Make sure you register to vote here!

UCLA