UCLA will not send athletes to any states deemed anti-LGBT

The travel ban is in accordance with a new California law

UCLA Athletics will no longer schedule games against colleges in states that adopt policies that are deemed anti-LGBT.

This is per the new Californian law that denies state funding for the transportation of students to such states that have adopted discriminatory policies against the LGBT community.

Such states currently deemed under the new law are Kansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, and North Carolina to have adopted a law that allows for or promotes discrimination.

The university has issued the statement: “UCLA and UCLA Athletics are fully committed to promoting and protecting equity, diversity and inclusion as set forth in the university’s Principles of Community” and UCLA is, “prepared for the enactment of AB 1887 and will comply with the new law.”

Tod M. Tamberg, Director of Strategic Communications at the university, told the Tab:

“AB 1887 allows for the fulfillment of contractual obligations incurred prior to the law’s implementation. UCLA’s football team has one previously-scheduled game at Memphis in the fall and will honor its obligation as required under the law. Moving forward, however, the athletic department will not schedule games in states that fail to meet the standards established by the new law.”

Pedro Duenas, 2nd Year, Life Sciences said:

“I think the intentions are good, but it’s the wrong way of going about it. It seems to be hurting more people in California, keeping students from going to conferences and things when they could care less if we go or not. It would be better for us if we were allowed to go and spread our liberal ways.”

Current UCLA student Pedro

Duenas is not the only one to express this sentiment: Jessie Chen, 4th Year, Global Studies told the Tab, “I get that we should’t be going to states that don’t support LGBT rights, but the law comes from a very privileged stance. It doesn’t account for intersectionality and the fact that some people can’t afford to take trips to these states without funding. The intentions are good, it just doesn’t work out in reality.”

UC Davis has also expressed support of the law on their FAQ page in which they outline the law and that they will be following all ordinances from the state. Julia Ann Easley, Sr. Public Information Representative at UC Davis told The Tab:

“We [Davis] did not have any games scheduled in the named states” and therefore their athletics program has not been affected by the new law.

The University of California Press Room has issued a blanket statement of support for the law:

“The University of California, in accordance with state law and in keeping with its own principles of nondiscrimination, will continue to ensure that its transgender students, faculty and staff have unrestricted access to restrooms that conform to their gender identities. We are heartened to hear that protecting all students, including those in the LGBTQ community, remains a stated priority for the Department of Education.”

UCLA