In response to HuffPo’s, ‘Your Mental Health is More Important Than Your Grades’

Yes it is – but for college students it’s more complicated than that

A recent article published by the Huffington Post boasted the headline, “Your Mental Health is More Important Than Your Grades.”

Well, duh. But it’s a lot more complicated than that.

It’s something we’ve always been told. “Take it easy.” “If you’re sick, get some rest.” “You’ll figure it out.” But at the same time, we are constantly pushed to be the absolute best, the most perfect version of ourselves.

Despite parents’ good intentions, a lot of pressures put on kids are personal. We took APs, we played sports, we were in choir and we were class presidents and we were everything “in between,” all in hopes of making ourselves distinguishable from the crowd. And it’s true, we attend one of the best colleges in the world – so who are we to even complain?

We’re struggling, overstressed, sleep-deprived, anxious students. The article suggests that 62% of students are experiencing “perpetual, toxic anxiety,” and it’s not hard to believe. The habits we develop to maintain our goals is disturbing. Incredibly late nights, eating poorly, and trying to attend every event are barely getting us by. And with the dramatic election season coming to an end, now more than ever we must listen to our bodies and prioritize self-care.

The word “balance” comes to mind, reminding us (or rather, guilting us) into finding ways to manage it all.

Anyone in college can relate – the supposed definition of “success” is balancing all three of these simultaneously. Yet, it is exceedingly difficult to put schoolwork, relationships, and health all on the top of the list. Something is going to suffer. What the HuffPo article argues is that “enough sleep” should be #1, and everything else can take a hit to make up for it. And though their 5 reasons are valid, they are not quite comprehensive of the experience of today’s society.

‘Know that education is a privilege’

Of course it is. We all are aware that America is great in providing accessible public education (albeit at an extremely high price). But not only is education a privilege, it’s extremely difficult.

The fact that we have this privilege does not automatically mean that we are exempt from the pressures that come with it.

Admit it – college is hard! UCLA’s quarter system moves fast and the expectations rise even faster.

Taken during prime study time (2:12am).

‘Don’t scratch that ridiculous perfectionism itch’

But perfection is demanded of us.

Every day we are confronted with images, articles and other reminders of what “success” looks like. From TIME Magazine to Photoshop, there will always be someone else who seems to have it all.

Growing up in this culture of celebrated perfectionists takes a toll. “Get a 4.0 so you can get into a good college.” “Don’t forget the lyrics tonight.” “Remember, this is the championship game.” All valid reasons to be “perfect.”

The hard part is distinguishing between the motivating kind of stress and the crippling kind of stress. Managing our mental health and the demand for perfection is a constant battle.

Don’t let the weight of UCLA loom over you

‘Resist the bait of impostor syndrome’

Do you find yourself thinking, “I don’t belong here,” or “someone will find out I’m not as good as they think”? You may be experiencing impostor syndrome, common among college students (especially women). And HuffPo is right – it’s a real thing. No one mentions it outright, but UCLA can be overwhelming.

We’re surrounded by smart, like-minded people and it’s an easy trap to fall into no matter how much you steel yourself against it. Learning to manage competition and insecurity comes hand in hand with going to a good school, and finding ways to handle the mental stress now will help us manage inter-peer rivalry when we leave UCLA.

You may be one person, but you can make a difference. Sign up for events like Volunteer Day!

‘Become a time management ninja’

Easier said than done. Telling people to just “manage their time” is not extraordinarily helpful – you can make countless lists and schedules and STILL not get the work done (trust me, I’ve been there).

The key to time management is not just planning ahead, as the article suggests, but also learning when to step back and take it easy.

Remember to make time to support your fellow students

‘Remember you’re not alone’

Yes, but ironically, 30,000+ students at UCLA can make you feel insignificant.

UCLA has tons of resources on campus to aid in de-stressing. The Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) center has drop-in hours, and mindfulness meditation sessions are held weekly on campus and on The Hill. The “Active Minds” group, mentioned in the HuffPo article, had a post-election safe space at UCLA and hold programs throughout the community.

Smile – you are lucky to be a Bruin!

The takeaway here is that mental health is definitely important: but there are ways to rest your head and also keep your grades in check. It’s OK to stop and check in with yourself. Schedule one day during the week/weekend to slow down and assess how you’re feeling, so you can regroup and emerge more collected. Life doesn’t have to be hard all the time.

Good luck in your college endeavors. And please – get some sleep.

UCLA