Why I decided to transfer to UCLA

Who wouldn’t want to be a Bruin?

I’ll admit, I was slightly anxious during orientation. UCLA is a completely different environment than my transfer school, Mt. San Antonio College.  There are new sights, smells, and sounds.

That said, I have quickly realized that UCLA is the best university in the world.

Bruins exist in virtually every corner of the planet. They make positive impacts on the global community, and a quick Youtube search of “UCLA 8-Clap Heard Around the World” reveals fellow Bruins leaving their mark on the world while demonstrating school spirit.

Because of this, and several other reasons, I decided to transfer to UCLA.

UCLA loves its transfer students

UCLA offers community college students with the opportunity to be a part of the Transfer Alliance Program (TAP). Students involved in TAP have a higher rate of gaining acceptance to UCLA.

Ever since I applied, I have constantly received email after email notifying me about different opportunities. Bruin transfers also have access to a massive community, with the campus opening up its very own transfer student center in the upcoming school year.

UCLA is like a family with many traditions

Upon admittance into UCLA, students lives are changed due to the incredible accomplishment of becoming Bruins. We’re encouraged to complete the True Bruin Traditions Keeper Challenge.

To complete the challenge, students must attempt forty school traditions. If successful, you receive a traditions keeper medal at graduation awarding you for school spirit.

UCLA holds the record for being the most applied to university in the nation

UCLA is known for a lot of things. It’s known for being one of the universities out there with the best food. Another is the virtually unlimited number of student opportunities.  But one of the most eye catching facts about UCLA is that it’s one of the most applied to schools in the country.

California schools dominate the nation in applications, but UCLA comes out as the number one school with the most applications overall AND the most diverse pool of applicants.

UCLA is in the City of Angels

Los Angeles is one of the most diverse places in the world, and Bruins get to take advantage of that. There are so many different scenes Bruins can check out. For example, Smorgasburg, a food market hosted in downtown L.A, has a variety of food on offer ranging from Mexican super fries to Vietnamese pork ribs, and they even have a beer garden!

Other than food, Bruins can benefit from a plethora of museums like the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), or the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art (LACMA). Bruins don’t have to go far to experience the traditions of other cultures.

Westwood, a slice of Los Angeles

UCLA is located in the Westwood district of Los Angeles, and there are plenty of things for students to enjoy, whether it’s for food, or for culture. For those twenty one and older, Barney’s Beanery is a great place to hang out and have a beer, and they host events like karaoke and trivia night.

Other spots in Westwood include Diddy Riese, which is a popular ice cream parlor. People can go for the traditional ice cream cone or try out their homemade ice cream sandwiches.

Westwood is just a good place for students to wander through after any campus activity.

There’s good vs. evil, and then there’s UCLA vs. USC

Well, that’s how each school feels about the other. The feud between the two has been going on for decades. It’s one of the best rivalries out there, and the most dramatic.

UCLA dedicates an entire pre-game rally – “Beat SC Bonfire” – to gather Bruins together for some anti-Trojan rivalry. Competition like this breeds some of the most competitive students in the nation.

Rocking recreation

Students at UCLA have access to a huge number of activities. Whether it’s martial arts or aquatic activities, Bruins have the ability to unlock their inner adventurer.

I have taken a sea kayaking class through UCLA’s marina aquatics center, and I’m not ashamed to say that it was one of the reasons I decided to become a Bruin.

UCLA dominates at the national level

Whether it’s in academia or athletics, Bruins are leaders at home and abroad. Just to mention a few:  UCLA boasts 13 Nobel Laureates in several fields, 10 winners of The National Medals of Science, and 3 Pulitzer Prize winners. In athletics, UCLA has won 113 NCAA championships, and for this year’s past olympic games, there were a total of thirty six UCLA affiliated athletes, coaches, and staff.

With recognition like that, who wouldn’t want to transfer here?

These are only some of the reasons which I decided to choose UCLA as my transfer school – there are numerous, and I feel lucky to be here.

Time to start the back-to-school countdown.

UCLA