What all college students miss most about their pets

If only our furry friends could live in our dorms

Not even UCLA’s best and brightest freshmen can predict how they’ll adjust to college life. I watched many friends cry the first couple weeks of first quarter, and equally as many embrace their newfound freedom. However, nearly everyone seemed to agree the family member they missed the most was the one (or many) covered in fur. What is it about pets that make them so special? Anyone who is a fellow animal lover could probably list a thousand reasons — whether it be their loyalty, friendliness, playfulness, or the fact that they’re just so darn cute, college just wouldn’t be the same without them.

Luckily, there are still opportunities to see and interact with animals on the UCLA campus and in the surrounding Westwood area. There are several nearby animal shelters and rescue organizations that welcome volunteers, such as Kitten Rescue, NKLA Pet Adoption Center, and Lange Foundation, which are all within four miles of the UCLA campus.

And of course, there are the squirrels. If you’ve been at UCLA for more than a few days, you know what I’m talking about. They’re adorable, and so unafraid of humans I’ve actually seen friends reach out and pet them, although this may not be the safest or healthiest choice if you’re trying to avoid rabies or other infectious diseases. Despite these options, nothing can really replace the feeling of having our own pets in our lives. Here are some common things college students miss most about their pets while away from home.

Friendly greetings

Nothing melts tension like a greeting from your pet after a long day of work. Whether it be a meow and a swish of the tail or more energetic jumps and barks, just knowing this adorable creature has waited all day for your return is enough to brighten anyone’s day. Not even your mom gets THAT excited when you walk through the door. You may find your soulmate in college, but you won’t find anyone who will celebrate your arrival in quite the same way your pet does.

Play time

I couldn’t tell you how many times per day my dog would drop a toy at my feet and nudge it towards me as some type of supposed enticement. At home, I definitely took this for granted as another occasionally entertaining responsibility. Now, if I was offered the chance to play with my dog instead of studying for my calc final, I wouldn’t think twice. Responsibility takes on a whole new meaning when you get to college, and really, what’s so difficult about watching a cute, fluffy animal channel its more primitive instincts by attacking inanimate objects?

Walks

We do enough walking around campus as it is, so we might as well have a pet by our side. If you don’t have a friend to walk with, the mile-long walks to and from class can be quite lonely affairs. This scenario applies more to dog owners than any other particular pet owner, but I’ve seen my fair share of cat-walkers and bunny-walkers — or should I say bunny-hoppers? Animals make some of the best companions, and just think of the fun they’d have with all the squirrels!

Waking up to cuddles and affection

Adorable photo courtesy of Emma Skeie

It’s not always easy getting up in the morning, especially when you have those dreaded 8ams. I’d much rather wake up to the gentle purring and nuzzling of a cat, or a dog licking my face, than I would a noisy, beeping alarm clock. Heck, I’d even prefer to be pushed off the bed by a big dog, because at least that means I have a dog. The feeling of their soft, warm fur in the morning after a night of cuddling is enough to make anyone get up on the right side of the bed.

Their ability to comfort you

No matter how “dumb” people claim their animals are, our pets are incredibly intelligent when it comes to emotions. What animals lack in language, they make up for in intuition. While humans often have to ask, “Are you okay?” or “Is everything alright?”, animals just know when you need a little extra comfort. The look of their big, knowing eyes, and the way they gently paw at your face as you cry is not something to expect from your college roommates. Pets don’t ask for an explanation or pass judgement, they just love you as wholeheartedly and unconditionally as possible.

College is a wonderful time for us to learn, grow, and explore, but some parts of our old life, especially pets, are hard to leave behind. Our animals add so much joy to our lives, and make going home on breaks so much more exciting. If you’re not willing to go home more frequently for your parents, do it for your pets. It’ll be a good thing for the whole family.

UCLA national-us