We spoke to the UCSC student who organized the Quarry chalking

The political art shows solidarity with marginalized groups in a call for equality and love

Late at night in the Quarry, activist Bryana Espinoza led students in political chalk art.

Students gathered at 2:30 AM and chalked the quarry with different activist slogans and images, from an outline of the United States filled in with the LGBTQ+ flag to outlines of women with the tagline, “My body, my choice.”

The point of the chalk was to foster inclusivity and acceptance both within activist spaces and in the university as a whole. In an email to students who indicated interest in the activity, Bryana explained her reasons for the chalk art as wanting a means to unify students in a time of severe division.

“If we want to fight back then we need to stand together first. I have been to rallies both here in SC and LA over the weekend and have seen people exclude others that want to be allies simply because they look white or are of a certain descent or economic class. Unless they do something that opposes our cause, then we should be allowing them to help us because we are more powerful in numbers and our voice is louder than [those who oppose us].”

Police came down to the Quarry and asked Bryana if she had a permit, which she was unaware she needed. They wrote down her name and let her off with a warning, and she took full responsibility for the event.

“One of the cops seemed pretty intrigued with the drawings which was also very comforting,” she said.

Last week, she did a topless protest in the Quarry to give students a chance to voice their opinions on the recent elections. Student protests on the same topic erupted in the days following the election.

Initially, Bryana wanted to chalk outlines of different country flags, but ultimately decided against it.

“The original piece had over 40 people coming and it was great to have so much support ,but last minute had to send an email saying I wanted to switch it up.  I had 9 beautiful people still come and help me out and it was really nice. We all divided up the work into what we wanted to do.”

They chalked different images showing solidarity with marginalized groups and calling for equality and love.

Bryana hopes the art helps make the UCSC students feel more connected and hopeful, especially in a time when so much negativity is going around.

“It’s only been a week since Trump was elected, but there have already been one too many hate crimes and assaults on and off campus. I just don’t think our community needs this whatsoever. I hope when people see this they feel a little better knowing that they have a student family here to support them,” she said.

“I just came from visiting it again and people were really captured by it! Many people stopped to read the thesis of the piece and it feels good knowing that you are grabbing peoples attention. Some friends who waited for me at the bottom while i went higher to take pictures said that people were asking around if this was all there the day before and who had done it.

“It’s in the Quarry, right in front of the bookstore, convenient store and bike co op and theres multiple pieces of the project so as people walk by they’re seeing multiple causes fighting together.”

UC Santa Cruz