UCI stands behind DACA recipients

UCI Chancellor Gillman echoes UC President Napolitano’s message to support undocumented students.

Since the beginning of Donald Trump’s term, “Dreamers” have been dreading the termination of DACA. DACA had been their safeguard and on Tuesday, September 5, their fear increased as President Trump’s administration announced its plan to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

University of California President Janet Napolitano is continuing to call upon the leaders of the U.S. Congress to immediately pass bipartisan legislation that would provide a permanent solution for the “Dreamers” of the University of California.

UCI’s Chancellor Gillman issued a statement that the University of California will continue to stand by all students, regardless of background, to help them attain their higher education goals.

Both Napolitano and Gilman made clear that services to undocumented student will continue.

According to Chancellor Gilman and UC President Napolitano, UC will continue to allow California residents who are Dreamers to pay in-state tuition and maintain the DREAM loan program for financial aid. Legal services and other student services will also continue for undocumented students. Importantly, UC will direct campus police not to contact, detain, question or arrest individuals based on a suspected undocumented status.

To our UCI DACA students, please contact the UCI Dreamers office for more assistance and questions you may have. For now, have some assurance that the UC system will stand behind you.

UC Irvine