Jewish community centre near UCI evacuated after bomb threat

UCI Chancellor Howard Gillman sent out an email telling students he stands with the Jewish community

Since the beginning of this year, there’s been a “dramatic increase nationwide in threats of violence against Jewish schools, community centers, and other organizations – 90 bomb threats since the start of the year and 20 just yesterday.”

After stating these facts, Chancellor Howard Gillman addressed the Anteater community with a somber tone stating that the bomb threats had “hit close to home Monday afternoon when our neighboring Merage Jewish Community Center received a bomb threat and was forced to evacuate.”

Irvine Police Department spokeswoman Kim Mohr stated that “a threat was phoned into the center at 1 Federation Way around 4:40 p.m.”

The Orange County Register reported that “about 1,000 people were evacuated Monday from the Merage Jewish Community Center of Orange County and its Tarbut V’Torah school following a bomb threat.”

Chancellor Howard Gillman assured that “our Jewish students, faculty, staff, partners and neighbors should take strength from knowing that the UCI community stands with them during these troubling times.”

While siding with the Jewish community Chancellor Howard Gillman also stated the importance of the  “Higher Ground” report by our Office of Inclusive Excellence and its call to combat anti-Semitism and other forms of intolerance and bigotry.”

Finally, he ended with a note of hope stating that the University of California Irvine will “respond to the darkness with the light of knowledge and mutual respect. In the face of violent threats, we add our voices to the chorus that declares we will not be intimidated.”

UC Irvine