UCI student hit by drive-by boba attack outside Trader Joe’s after finishing exam

As if finals wasn’t stressful enough

A UCI student was hit by flying boba and eggs on her way home from a final last Friday.

At around 10pm on,  Ana Dominguez, was victim to a boba and eggs  by three men and a driver who pulled on the side of the road. She was walking on Stanford St. right in front of Trader Joes to her apartment after her final when the attack happened.

She spotted them laughing with stifled giggles. She immediately called the Irvine Police department after the incident, but found their response lacking.

She said: “my phone call was somehow transferred. The first officer that answered the phone asked if it was an emergency and I told him I just wanted to report and incident, and he asked to put me on hold for about 2 minutes. When he got back to me he told me he would transfer me back to UCI PD, which I though was strange because I called UCI PD directly.

‘The officer that took my incident asked what happened what they through at me, and I gave her the license plate number. She said they would send someone over to check the area and see if they would find the guys, and the phone call ended.”

She also comments that she, “was a little bothered about the officers approach. Although it was not a life or death situation, they were not on top of answering their phone calls and gathering information. I had to be the first to answer the question before they even asked. This raises my concern because there is no follow up on how serious they might take the situation or if they actually found the people that I described to them. Thankfully I am okay but I really wish they show more concern for students safety. It happened late at night, almost 10 pm, and as a female I should not have to encounter situations like that when I walk home from school or work.”

Ana before her attack

Ana Dominguez that she wasn’t the only one attacked, “according to my roommates, one of their friends was also attacked by the Children day care near the Arc. Another friend of mine also told me that she was throwing a boiled egg at the same it happened to me.”

Despite finals being over and many students going home for the holidays the incidents that have occurred should not be ignored.

Ana Dominguez also posted a description of her attackers on the UCI Class of 2017 Facebook page to warn other students.

For any students who walk late at night, stay safe and in case you are attacked by boba and eggs, report the attack immediately.

UC Irvine