Santa Ana is more than just the headlines

‘Which side of Santa Ana did you live in? The good side or bad side?’

The City of Santa Ana isn’t a place to escape from but rather embrace. Despite its gang related violence the community does not remain silent and the people can be seen calling to action at city hall in the Civic Center Plaza. Whether it be to protest the lack of affordable housing or simply to stay informed, citizens attend the meetings to have their voices heard. As I walked to the public library located next to the city hall I observed the community of homeless people; some of which were families.

Despite the summer heat the dancers don’t break a sweat

While I lived for several months in a room crowded with my siblings, I realized how fortunate I was to have a roof over my head. Just as our city is full of action so are several of our government officials. An advocate for youth leadership, city council member Roman Reyna, not only held a government position but could also be seen advising the YMCA Youth & Government program. The people of Santa Ana do not let their circumstances get the better of them and often celebrate their Latino heritage with Las Fiestas Patrias and Dia de Los Muertos on Fourth street.

Santa Ana is often categorized into two sections: good or bad. Of course, it’s understandable that one would ask this question as you walk a couple of minutes into the city and see walls and private property tagged with an assortment of squiggly spray painted colors. I personally believe it adds character. Or perhaps they notice as they try to make way into court, city hall or the public library, the community of homeless people. As someone who has lived in Santa Ana for more than ten years I have a question of my own: Why doesn’t anyone ask the how?

It is no surprise that Santa Ana is undergoing a gentrification process that has been pushing many family-owned businesses for high-end shops. As of today, Santa Ana has 99 empty lots; land that could be used for more affordable housing or parks and recreational facilities that could combat the childhood obesity due to lack of public spaces for children to exercise. But there is one overwhelming pattern that I have noticed in my years living in Santa Ana; this community does not remain silent.

When my middle school of Willard Intermediate lacked funding for resources such as a better track and field and improved facilities, parents attended meetings and rallied to see where the funding would be properly allocated. As I pass by North Ross street I am regretfully happy of the changes and while I wish I could enjoy the improvement and changes I am glad others can enjoy what children of my year lacked. So people rally, set meeting as they protest through music; baile folklorico and danza Azteca all while boldly declaring the changes they set out to make.

So while I could mention how neat it is to have the Bowers Museum and the Discovery Science Center so close to us, that is not my Santa Ana. My hometown is not pretty buildings with detailed architecture rather it is its people that I hold dear to my heart.

The people, that despite yearly increases in rent each year still manage to smile proudly as they sell chicharrones down at Fourth street. Even the younger people that set up at the library to give out free water and food to those without available resources in the scorching summer heat. “Always smile,” my mother, a hardworking undocumented worker, says as she waits for the bus and shows off her beautiful, government issued, black GPS tracking ankle bracelet. That is my city, homeless, undocumented and often more than not facing deportation, but hardworking and determined. So I leave to UCI knowing that I will be back because I must go back.

UC Irvine