UCI rush week: An ex Alpha Phi’s survival guide

First off, you’re over-thinking it

Now I don’t know if it was a blessing – but when I rushed freshmen year… I had NO clue what the heck was going on. None. Nor what the Greek system implied.  For a minute I thought you had to be of Greek decent to join this “club.” No joke.

But in my defense, I have a valid excuse- I am half polish, half Italian- making me 100% foreign blooded. Therefore, I was the freshest meat in the process- easily your most unprepared candidate. Or should I say, PNM.

But quickly coerced, I rushed, survived – and 4 years later couldn’t have been happier with my decision.

And now for all you freshmeat babes – here’s some insider tips.

They want you more than you want them

Trust me – they’re desperate to have you. They’d be nothing without Potential New Members. Really.These houses are looking to have the best of the best. And you are the best. So there, It’s a done deal.

Drink Water

Oh the number of gals that have “fainted” is beyond me. Do yourself a favor, when the ladies offer you water- drink it! It’s also an opportunity to gather your thoughts for a quick second to avoid that “awkward silence.”

Ask Questions

For me- All I did was ask questions! I was trying to piece everything together because boy -was I confused. And to my advantage- it helped! Asking questions allows you to appear interested and invested. Rather than a monologue of your entire life story in 3 minutes…

Social Media

Spoiler Alert. These girls are PRO stalkers. By the time you walk in they know EVERYTHING about you. I wish I was joking, but we might as well join the CIA after polish week. So ladies- keep those social media accounts at least  PG-13…  Good thing mine was already G  –  obviously I was wild child.. (joke)

Be confident

Hey, look at you- you’ve already made it this far. Graduated high school, survived the college application process, and admitted to an outstanding University. Whether you’re athletic, enjoy reading, and being outdoors. Or like dancing, the arts, and cooking- you’ll be a stellar addition to their house. Just be confident, It’ll easily stand out.

However, The best advice I could offer; regardless of what others say, is don’t take it too seriously!  Have fun, you’re not interviewing for a CEO position here..  so loosen up. You’re here to find a group of gals who will enhance your college experience. Take it with a grain of salt. And trust me, once you’re in- you don’t have to BLEED your letters. They don’t identity who you are, but are an addition to you. Your overall ‘coolness.’

So stay cool ladies.

UC Irvine