What you actually need to pack for freshman year at UC Davis

If you don’t bring a bike, you won’t have any friends

We all went through it. That awkward time before your first year of college when you’re trying to figure out just what you need to pack… Well, there’s only so much you can learn from your friends and family.

Lucky for you, we have put together a list of what you need to not only survive, but thrive.

Bike/ accessories

If by now you didn’t think to bring a bike to UC Davis, just enroll at Sac State now. Bikes are a pivotal part of campus life and are the easiest way to get around. Sure, you can walk around campus – like a scrub – but you wouldn’t want that, would you? Also, you will most likely get pulled over by a cop.

Pro-Tip: Get one that has gears. You’re welcome.

Pro-Tip #2: Learn to ride the damn bike BEFORE coming to Davis.

Everybody's got one. Don't be nobody

Everybody’s got one. Don’t be nobody

U-Lock/ Chains

These are almost more important than the bike itself. When you have a school where bikes are everywhere, by the transitive property (of which I just made up) you also have a school with a lot of bike thefts. You’re gonna need locks. U-Locks, to be specific. You can also get some chains- for the bike or personal life. I don’t judge. An investment in your lock is an investment in your transportation.

Pro-Tip: Learn how to lock the bike properly (i.e. get the front tire somehow. Comes off easier).

This is a bike lock!

This is a bike lock!

This is not a bike lock

This is not a bike lock

Allergy pills 

Davis is consistently at the top for Agriculture when it comes to college; you can expect there to be a lot of animals. And hay. And pollen. And literally every other allergen/ thing that makes you cough and sneeze. Medication is a must to keep you sharp in between the eyes.

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 11.59.14 AM

Water bottle/ purifier 

It gets hot. Don’t become a statistic.

Drink water, stay hydrated, give the college more of your money.

Snuggie 

Ain't no thing but a chicken wing

Ain’t no thing but a chicken wing

Let me tell you a thing about Snuggies: they’re great. A god damn blanket with sleeves. You can cook with a snuggie. You can clean with a Snuggie. You can study with a Snuggie. You can go through emotional trauma with a Snuggie. All while being able to use your hands. It’s the best thing ever, all the time. The greatest technological advancement of ever.

Note: Snuggie didn’t pay me anything. I just really like to use mine.

Hammock

The quad has interesting stuff. The COHO. People tabling for their events. Crazy religious people screaming at sinners for masturbating. But the BEST part about it? The sexy blue hammocks for students to lounge in after a long day of procrastinating. The only problem is that they are almost ALWAYS taken.

From the minute they’re put up by the Mysterious Hammock Putter-Uppers (also something I just made up), to the minute they’re taken down by the Equally-Mysterious Hammock Taker-Downers.

So if you want to enjoy some time hanging a few feet above the ground safely, a hammock is the thing for you.

Pepper spray 

Because protection is American.

Because protection is American.

When walking around at night, regardless of who you are, you want to be safe.

There may be time you need to pull a Katehi and pepper spray some fools; yes, I went there.

Electric tea kettle 

Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 8.01.38 PM

Warm water is bae. It can be used for tea (if you’re classy) and for coffee (if it’s finals). Warm up your water, make your caffeinated drink, and get those A’s.

Bike fender 

You’ll want this if you don’t want the freshman stripe. Trust me on this one.

Dorm/ room mascot 

Tyrone. 'Nuf said

Tyrone. ‘Nuf said

This is one of the best conversation starters to have.

An animal, plant, or some other inanimate object to make your room truly yours.

Bike helmet

Listen up first years: EVERYONE ON CAMPUS THAT RIDES A BIKE WEARS A HELMET. You will stick out like an unsafe, sore-thumb.

Rain jacket with a hood/ boots 

When it rains it pours. Don’t make the lecture hall seats wet.

Warm winter clothes 

It also gets cold at times. And it’s not very fun being cold.

Febreze 

Anything to make life smell better

Anything to make life smell better

Sometimes you just gotta air it out from whatever activities (illegal or inappropriate included) have been going on in your room. Even if it’s just B.O.- cause that’s nasty.

Note: applies to all grade levels. No one likes a smelly room.

Shower shoes 

I'm too white for life

I’m too white for life

This is for if you live in the dorms, a frat house, or any other public place.

You don’t know what kind of cooties people have on their feet.

Christmas lights

Beautiful

Beautiful

This is actually a great way to decorate your dorm room. Looks really nice.

Money for some god damn textbooks 

They’re expensive.

UC Davis