Shutting down free speech is leading to the ‘Wussification’ of America

Apparently, college students need a safe space for EVERYTHING

Back in February, Ben Shapiro, Republican Political Commentator, gave a speech at the CSU LA campus. Ok, by “gave” I mean attempted to give a speech. According to Ben Shapiro, students had a “near-riot” at his speech, blockaded doors, and threatened people who wanted to hear him speak with “violence.” Students tried to take away another persons freedom of speech, because they couldn’t handle what he had to say.

These “precious snowflakes” as Shapiro referred to them as, were so hurt that they are now, three months later, setting up “healing spaces” on campus to deal with the “pain” that was caused by having the Conservative on campus… This would almost be understandable if the people at these “healing space” zones actually WENT to the damn speech. But no, apparently, most of these “unicorn-riding students” didn’t even go. Cause that makes sense.

The other funny part of this whole situation is how the protestors were acting. They were pushing, shoving and interlocking themselves to prevent people from coming in. And the school administration did little to nothing to help the situation. The school actually tried to cancel the speech altogether a few days beforehand, showing that CSULA doesn’t have the gall to uphold our country’s Bill of Rights. Pathetic.

Being a conservative at UC Davis, I’ve had to listen to a lot of stuff I don’t believe in. I’ve had my views challenged. I’ve had my beliefs picked apart and attacked. But that didn’t stop me from standing up for what I believe in. Most all of my friends have very conflicting views on political issues. I don’t agree with them, but I still respect them.

I’m sure you can see who I’m not voting for…

I’ve read stuff that’s pissed me off. I’ve listened to speeches that have conflicted greatly with my views. But not once have I told them they shouldn’t talk. But that doesn’t stop them from trying to stop others.

Shapiro said: “True diversity means silencing anyone who disagrees. Which is, of course, precisely what I said in the speech they attempted to shut down with physical force.”

If you can’t beat them, try to take away their first amendment right to freedom of speech. Don’t YOU try to take away their rights… But if you don’t agree with them, YOU don’t deserve the same.  Not once have I had to go to some make-believe “safe space” because someone said something I disagree with.

We’re all adults now. Act like it.

To clarify: I have nothing against activism. At our age it is easy to be passionate about something. I want people to voice their opinions. I want conflicting views, because one view is communism (simply put) and one “common view” is socialism (simply put). Democracy comes when we can have actual debate, not try to shut the other side up by not allowing people to listen to a speech.

I have to defend my GOP stickers constantly

The idea of personal responsibility is leaving this country. Every situation seems to require some kind of scapegoat. We live in a day and age where everything offends everybody. Everybody must bend to those who are “hurt.” This has been touched on in other articles, namely, “Enjoy your transgender bathrooms. We just lost America.”

We can judge the actions of a few police officers to profile the entire profession, but if we do that when it comes to radical Islam, we’re bigots. We’re racists. We’re wrong. The hypocrisy is becoming stronger day by day. Welfare states, making sure everyone gets a damn trophy even if they do not EARN it, raising the minimum wage for people who have minimum skills… We are creating a nation of individuals who cannot and will not work for their own success.

I have voted just yet, but the point is still there.

My grandfather, Stanislaw, fought for democracy by fighting in the Solidarity movement in Poland to overthrow a Communistic government so people could work for themselves and actually provide for their families. But apparently that’s looked down upon in today’s America.

It’s a damn shame.

UC Davis