Cultural fashion at the Afghan Students Association’s Ayeende Noorani

The banquet was colorful and classic

One of the many perks of going to a large a diverse school like UC Davis is the cultural diversity. Student associations are always throwing one event or another to celebrate their cultural heritage, and recently I had the opportunity to go to the Afghan Students Association’s Ayeende Noorani – “bright future ahead”- charity banquet.

As someone who has been obsessed with fashion and all the Fashion Weeks that happen each year, this was a chance for me to explore Afghani fashion and ethnic wear. I was fascinated to see that it was very similar in structure to my own Indian outfits, but vastly different and far more colorful.

Here’s an example of an Indian anarkali outfit:

Most anarkalis are long, flowy gowns that have a bit of flare towards the bottom. The gowns sometimes reach the ankles and are sometimes shorter. They usually have a velvet or silk border of some kind and come with a long scarf, a dupatta, and matching pants. They’re beaded, heavy, and ideal for young girls who like to lift their dresses dramatically and pretend they’re in a Bollywood movie. For me, it’s always been a moment of pride in my culture when I wear one. I am momentarily transported to a world of grandma’s sumptuous cooking and Bollywood songs, even if my world might be a little different.

The similarity in the Afghani Kuchi dress and an anarkali surprised me. For starters, it had the same long dress, pants, and scarf combo. It made the history buff in my realize that our cultural fashion was probably spread by ancestors from the same region. The difference, as seen in the photos below, is in the amount of flare. 

Afghani dresses tend to have flared sleeves and are more flared towards the bottom of the dress, which makes them more dramatic and exciting. Their colors are vivacious and beckon viewers from miles away. The detail on these dresses is less stone-based than Indian clothes and more based on handiwork and embroidery.

I can imagine men and women reminiscing about summers on swings surrounded by extended family as they don a crucial part of their heritage.

As an International student, this is what I adore participating in. To recognize how we are similar and celebrate what makes us different makes my heart soar.

And, it makes the fashionista in me ready to take on the world with fresh ideas.

UC Davis