Petition started against Mrak Hall #FireKatehi protesters

It’s gained over 50 signatures

A petition is rapidly gaining support condemning the ‘unethical’ actions of protesters in the Mrak Hall #FireKatehi walk out last week.

The petition criticizes the protestor’s allegedly abrasive actions, “including sexist and racist behaviors, threatening and bullying of staff, students and faculty who come to Mrak Hall to work.

“We feel that these actions undermine not only the values of our campus community, but also the ideals which the protesters claim to defend.”

According to the petition: “Several students and staff have been treated abusively by the protesters. Several protesters took to shouting that an employee was a “coconut” (brown on the outside, white on the inside) for being a Latina who works for UC Davis.”

In the UC Davis Freshman Class of 2019 Group, some commenters have called for proof of the claims made.

Maria Rivera said: “Can you prove the community statements shared in this petition?”

Lamia Hajani said: “I have no idea where you’re getting this information that the protesters have been racist or sexist… I am sick and tired of these petitions and letters that want to claim racism and sexism’

I personally took part in the walk out and can confirm I saw racist behavior between the protesters themselves. A black woman and white woman were fighting because the white woman had dreads. The black woman was calling it “cultural appropriation” and saying how she wasn’t allowed to wear her hair like that.

The group protesting also pushed a tour group out of the welcome center auditorium which reflected badly on us as a school.

I myself signed the petition and will be interested to see how much support it gains.

UC Davis