Watch pigs get slaughtered on the quad

Virtual reality booth lets you step inside the grossness

Animal Equality have set up a virtual reality booth on the Memorial Union offering a behind the scenes look of a swine facility.

Animal Equality, an international animal welfare nonprofit organization is on a tour of college campuses to spread the word about the meat industry. Working closely with UC Davis’s P.E.A.C.E, Animal Equality was able to secure a spot to set up a virtual reality booth on the quad.

Using an oculus rift virtual reality headset, students watch a five minute video from the point of view of a pig in the meat industry starting from birth and ending at slaughter.

Trying on the headset

Nothing is glossed over, in one scene the video features a dying pig twitching in a pool of its own blood. Accompanying these intense and graphic images is a voiceover that highlights some of the major cruelties that allegedly take place on these facilities.

Stephanie, a booth worker for Animal Equality, said: “People eat their meat thinking the animals are happy, and that’s not true. That’s what we’re trying to show people.”

Whether or not you believe the claims of Animal Equality, it is a fascinating video that allows you to learn more about animal welfare while using new VR Tech.

Animal Equality will be manning the booth tomorrow at the same place until 3 pm.

UC Davis