There’s a huge protest going on at Sather Gate – in front of prospective students

A Cal day to remember

Student workers union protestors have taken to the streets of campus to demonstrate for a living wage and better conditions for all undergraduate student workers.

The crowd of around 100 assembled in front of Sather Gate, blocking the way for prospective students and their parents, who are visiting for Cal day.

Sproul plaza is packed with interested students and parents, so the protest is making the crowds detour to avoid them. In protesting on Cal Day, the UAW are taking the chance to publicize their demands to those outside of the Berkeley community.

According to their website,UAW Local 2865 is the Union representing over 14,000 Academic Student Employees (ASEs) – Readers, Tutors, TAs, and others – at the nine teaching campuses of the University of California.

The Union gives them the right and power to bargain with the University of California over salary, benefits, workload, grievance procedures, fair hiring processes and other issues, allowing us to have a real say in our lives as academic student employees.

NOW WATCH:
The Tab UC Berkeley The Tab UC Berkeley News