Why senioritis at Berkeley is worse than literally anywhere else

Spoiler alert: it’s the grade deflation

Everyone knows from high school that senioritis is the absolute worst thing that can hit you during spring semester. Not only do you have no motivation because you likely already got into college, but worse, you have to maintain your cool factor by being nonchalantly aloof about all the schoolwork due around you. College senioritis is levels above that. Now there’s no prescribed next step to take– everyone’s is different. But it doesn’t stop you from spiraling into a pit of unproductive behavior. Not only can you not actually give up, there’s so many reasons you really want to. Senioritis is a disaster everywhere but it’s worse in Berkeley, and here’s why:

The grade deflation is so awful you can’t even really give up on schoolwork

Everyone knows about Berkeley’s grade deflation– there’s probably dozens of urban dictionary definitions for it waxing poetic about how The Man is trying to make us fail. Unfortunately, unless you’re in Haas, that grade deflation only gets worse when you get to upper division classes. Nothing that snaps you out of your desire to ditch section for the beach more than remembering that 65% of people in your class will get below a C. And that probably includes you.

Nobody goes to lecture so committing to senioritis means taking more drastic measures

Berkeley students master the basics of high school senioritis freshman year. Hardly anyone attends all fifteen weeks of lecture, and unless section is mandatory, you can forget about that too. To really succeed at being an awful second semester senior, you have to try hard. That means no notes, no homework, not even a Google search about what the title of your class actually is. It’s a big task, but someone’s gotta do it.

Giving up on schoolwork just means you have your future to worry about

If you think being enrolled in five units you could care less about is easy, then don’t forget: that only opens up your schedule for wallowing in self pity. So-and-so already has a job at Google, sure, but you have your mom’s couch, and that’s something! If any of your extended family ask, it’s the perfect place to study for the LSAT, thank you very much.

The California weather makes it impossible to focus

That thing about our state being the best based on weather alone is not just a trope. When spring finally rolls around in Berkeley, it’s way too beautiful to even consider doing something that’s remotely related to responsibilities. The glade is heaven on a sunny day, and napping through class is more than just likely. (Sorry, Mom.) If you wanted to do work, you should’ve gone to school in like, Kansas.

(Most) Seniors are 21– which is old enough to constantly make bad decisions

People say it’s impossible to go to Kip’s every day of the week, but they’re wrong. First of all, they probably don’t know about trivia, and second, what’s the big deal about oversleeping 9am’s when you’re a graduating senior? Being 21 means you’re able to get into Pappy’s, yes, but it also means you’re more mature and worldly. That means drinking a minimum of four days a week. And that means single-handedly keeping Tap Haus open.

There’s so much cool stuff to be doing instead of responsibilities

Being so close to San Francisco and in the midst of all the cultural attractions in Berkeley and Oakland is never more enticing than when senioritis hits. The last time you went to Indian Rock was freshman year on one of those day trips your RA was forced to host, but suddenly you can stop making your way out there to “take in the sunset.” Everything seems more fun when you should definitely be doing nothing other than applying to jobs.

The three and a half years prior were so grueling all you want is sleep

The worst part of senioritis by far is spending three and a half years working so hard towards having a lighter load at the end of senior year. Only when you get to it, all you want to do is sleep. Then when you sleep you think about how you could be at that cool popcorn and wine bar you heard about. But when you head there you remember you should be on the job hunt or grad school grind. And when you get back to that, well, you fall asleep again. It’s a never ending cycle.

No matter how tough it gets, though, Berkeley students can conquer anything sent their way. Even senioritis. We’re all over achievers, after all!

UC Berkeley