University of California president, chancellors, and students respond to Trump’s executive order

‘We are committed to supporting all members of the UC community who are impacted by this executive action’

Yesterday, January 29th, University of California posted this statement in regards to President Trump’s recent executive order that suspended all refugee entrance and banned citizens from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen from entering the United States:

“We are deeply concerned by the recent executive order that restricts the ability of our students, faculty, staff, and other members of the UC community from certain countries from being able to enter or return to the United States.

While maintaining the security of the nation’s visa system is critical, this executive order is contrary to the values we hold dear as leaders of the University of California. The UC community, like universities across the country, has long been deeply enriched by students, faculty, and scholars from around the world, including the affected countries, coming to study, teach, and research.  It is critical that the United States continues to welcome the best students, scholars, scientists, and engineers of all backgrounds and nationalities.

We are committed to supporting all members of the UC community who are impacted by this executive action.”

This statement was signed by President Janet Napolitano and the chancellors of each University of California.

The executive order has raised pressing concerns among UC students, many of whom are, or know people who are, directly affected by it.

Kayla Main, second year Political Science and Econ major at UC San Diego

“The recent executive order hindering those from certain countries from staying or coming to America has shaken the UCSD community on a personal level. So many of the most active and intelligent students on campus could be affected by this executive action. It is worrisome to think about what could happen to the diverse culture that has been fostered already and how this action will hinder the continuous growth toward diversity that helps students learn and gain a global perspective.

“I am curious to see how the UC’s can respond to the difficult limitations now placed upon them and remain optimistic that the UC’s will continue to provide education to the most deserving students, regardless of where they come from.”

Bree Cassells, third year English major at UC Berkeley

“Trump represents the very worst parts of America- the first step towards making America great again is getting him out of office.”

Alexandria Finley, second year EECS major at UC Berkeley

“So much of American progress – in the arts, in the sciences, in philosophy, etc. – has stood on the shoulders of immigrants.

“It saddens me deeply to think of what may become of our UC family, long standing champions of teamwork and intellectual progress, in light of this attack on worldly collaboration.”

Will Yoo, second year international student from Korea at UCLA

“I strongly agree with the statement that the US has developed through opening the doors to immigrants, and it would be the mistake to go the direct opposite of its history.”

Sarah Masson, third year Bioengineering major at UC San Diego

“I was shocked and appalled by the recent executive decision, so I’m glad that the UC president and chancellors voiced their concerns and promised their support to those affected.

“I hope any affected students and faculty members can at least feel safe, supported, and valued at their universities amidst the ignorance and injustice that has run rampant in our country this past week.”

UC Berkeley