Cal Anthropology holds silent protest to support Standing Rock

#NoDAPL

Today from 12-1 pm, at Sproul Plaza, UC Berkeley’s Anthropology Department held a silent protest to support Standing Rock.
It was organized by Professor Scheper-Hughes of the Anthropology Department to make visible the Anthropology faculty’s concerns, and to call on the President of the United States, Barack Obama, to protect the tribal land in danger from the rerouting of The Dakota Access Pipeline. Students gathered to show the collective violence of Standing Rock v. US Oil Corporations.

The Dakota Access Pipeline was originally routed to bisect Bismarck, but officials resolved to change its location once Bismarck residents expressed their concerns about water contamination, damage from oil economies, and environmental destruction. It was rerouted to run through tribal land, over the burial grounds of Native Americans. Preemptive bulldozing has already destroyed ancient burial sites.

Why support this cause? 

Land displacement and contaminated water is a massive concern. The preparatory bulldozing has already destroyed sacred land and lacerated the land of ancestors. While fewer pipeline break have occurred through this “better” form of oil transportation, based on reports from 2004 and 2012, the pipes expel three times as much oil when they do break.

Pipeline corrosion also poses a serious environmental, health, and humanitarian concern. The United States’ history of violently oppressing the Lakota Sioux Native Americans  runs deep, and it is legitimized through settler colonialism and the well-loved “manifest destiny.”

One speaker pointed out that there are ways to help this movement rather than checking in to Standing Rock on Facebook – it is a rumor that police are using Facebook information. You can donate to Standing Rock, which in turn will be used by protesters to buy food, propane, blankets, and – drum roll – water! The GoFundMe is here.

Students and faculty stand together

Professor Sheper-Hughes
“I think right now it is important to let it be silent for the protest to be heard.” says Professor Sheper-Hughes.

Maya Morales, a third year Anthropology and Psychology major

“I really believe that this is a clear example of colonial violence and I strongly believe in protecting sacred lands and recognizing people’s cultural heritage. Especially those who have been historically oppressed. And I’m also very passionate about the environment and this is a potentially huge slight against nature.”

Chase Porter, a fourth year EECS and Art double major

“There is also a group in Ecuador, and they are indigenous populations; some of their representatives are Carmen Zambrano and Humberto Piaguaje. They came here to speak on this in solidarity with the Sioux. They have been similarly affected by oil companies. Like chevron destroyed their land: they have no access to fresh water yet still have to live there. Cancer has skyrocketed, and there is no resource accessibility for them to acquire fresh water or medical supplies. It’s a larger case on the rights of land what companies can do to land. There is also the Richmond council who has a case mounting against Chevron – either a pipeline explosion or fire, something – and the sunflower group, which has also been affected by Chevron, is building one too. Chevron owes four billion to Ecuador but seized their assets and are now in Canada to avoid being heard. Regardless of the outcome of this, a precedent will be set based on what companies can do to land. This is a power move for corporations to acquire capital gain. .”

Students and faculty alike took to the mic to voice their opinions. They chose to stay anonymous, likely for the purpose to use anonymity as a supplemental force in the silent protest, and also to bridge the stranger-non-stranger gap that we commonly think of when considering national protests.

Anonymous speaker

“This is a humanitarian issue. Native Hawaiians have already sent three constituencies to Standing Rock. If we do not stop then now, corporations will continue. These are the corporate wars of Standing Rock of 2016. I hope all of you, especially Pacific Islanders, take this issue. When corporations go to other planets, they do not say ‘there is oil,’ they say ‘there is water because water is life.’ It is going to be a cold winter.”

Keep these words in mind as we approach our joyful holiday season and Netflix binge-worthy weather. While we may jokingly reference Game of Thrones and imitate Jon Snow at every chance we get, we must confront the traumatic reality that Native Americans are still seen as sub-human, and that they are willing to actually brave the cold of winter to defend their lives.
UC Berkeley