Are you still afraid of the ‘killer clowns’ at Cal?

‘I would carry a taser just because I wouldn’t want to risk someone trying to hurt me’

Since September, the creepy clown hysteria has been on the rise, demanding our attention and making us increasingly concerned. Clowns were once entities that aimed to bring laughter and joy to others, but not anymore.

Whether this fear originated from Stephen King’s It or the catacombs of the internet, clown-induced hysteria has exploded – and it’s not just at Cal.  From East to West, America is on constant alert for potential sightings and violent crimes that appear to come along with them.

Although a number of “clown sightings” were proven to be hoaxes and pranks, it does not ease the discomfort many may feel about the possibility that a clown could be lurking somewhere obscure.  After the string of shootings, armed robberies, and assaults that have occurred in Berkeley over the past few weeks, the last thing we need is a terrorizing clown. And with Halloween around the corner, it’s important to be wary and take precautions.

UC Berkeley students – believers and skeptics alike – weighed in on the clown phenomena, providing more insight on how this has impacted our fellow Bears.

Cindy Wang, 20, fourth-year Business Administration major

“I think it’s so dumb that students have to worry about this. Normally people hear about ‘killer clowns’ and they chuckle or think that you’re talking about some horror film. Now it’s a real thing and a real issue that needs to be addressed. I’ve heard students say they are afraid to leave the dorm building because of possible clown sightings. Overall, clown or no clown, students should be aware of their surroundings walking at night or alone. Have the school escort number if it helps, and report anything suspicious to the police.”

Ayam Nouiouat, 21, third-year Public Health major

“I think although this is a legitimate concern, it’s definitely being hyped up because it’s an easy thing to blow out of proportion because something as crazy as killer clowns is so out of the ordinary, it gets everyone talking. Regardless, people should take extra precautions to stay safe and keep in touch with friends, especially on a night like Halloween where crime rates are generally higher.

“I’m definitely going to try to stick with friends and not go anywhere I’m not comfortable with, and stick to areas with high volumes of people and security because although I do want to have fun I don’t want to get killed. Also, I think I’ll invest in some pepper spray! And definitely share my location with someone that night.”

Donovan Blount, 26, third-year English major

“I think that the clown craze is definitely an exaggeration. I haven’t looked into it very much and I haven’t heard anything about any crimes being committed by these clowns, so I don’t see anything to fear. I think it’s another case of something starting as a joke on the internet and it becoming viral.

“I would suggest that Berkeley students travel in packs on Halloween, and always remain aware of their surroundings.”

Hannah Kim, 20, third-year English major

“I think as a new student it’s quite jarring; the seeming spike in crime and the clown scare are both things I wouldn’t expect in my home city. I’ve definitely begun studying more in my apartment and have avoided the library late at night. I think other students should do what they need to feel and be safe! It differs with each person, and for me I feel uncomfortable walking around late at night even with other people around, so I’ve started to study more at home. For other people it may be best to drink less during Halloween or having a safety plan with a sober friend…whatever they need, they should do!”

Mohammad, 27, third-year Integrated Biology major

“Even if this is an exaggeration, it’s making people paranoid. After everything that has been happening, including the robberies and assaults, I suggest students to go to San Francisco for Halloween. I don’t feel like Berkeley is very safe.”

Carly Sanchez, 20, fourth-year Environmental Sciences major

“It’s concerning because you have people who are hiding their identities to harass others. The person who has the will to do that obviously thinks people’s fear is something to make a joke out of.

“I would carry a taser just because I wouldn’t want to risk someone trying to hurt me or manipulate me, and then later claim it was just a joke because they put a wig and makeup on.”

Joseph Fajnor, 20, third-year Art major

“I feel that the clown problem, while maybe real, is possibly a little overhyped. I think in order to take precautions I’m going to try to travel in groups and be aware, but I don’t feel that it should affect how I go about things, especially with a string of real crimes going on at the same time. I would just hope others would do the same, staying in groups and keeping some kind of protection with them while also knowing their resources, like BearWalk and UCPD.”

Maria Cabrera, 21, third-year Molecular and Cell Biology major

“I don’t know how it started but I think it’s turning this joke into potential for serious harm. I mean, with the constant threat of gun violence you hear happening around the country and in schools especially over the past couple years, you can’t help but feel not completely safe. But I think that’s a general concern, not just because of Berkeley. Don’t walk alone at night or in secluded places, and trust your intuition when things don’t feel right, like when a person seems really sketchy.”

UC Berkeley