Berkeley armed robbery suspects arrested

UCPD are hosting an event tonight after sharp increase in violent crime on campus

The suspects from last Monday’s armed robbery incident have been arrested, according to UCPD.

They were officially identified as 20-year-old Raina Doss, and an unnamed 17-year-old.

The incident, which occurred near Shattuck and Center St, lead to a phone being stolen:

“The victim, with unknown affiliation to UCB, was walking when she was approached by the two suspects.  The suspects took the victims’ phone and fled on foot.  The victim was not injured during the encounter.  BPD and UCPD responded to the area and they arrested the suspects nearby.”

While our fabulous campus is now just a little bit safer, UCPD wants to remind everyone to continue to be mindful of our surroundings and not to let our guards down. They recommend the following safety tips:

• Utilize the free Night Safety Services located at http://nightsafety.berkeley.edu
  • Travel with a friend or in a group
    Be alert and aware of your surroundings
    When out and about, keep your electronic devices out of public view as they are a popular robbery target
  • Please do not delay in calling 911

Additionally, the ASUC and UCPD are offering a free event in response to Berkeley’s recent increase in violent crime. Tools to Survive Targeted Violence happens at 7pm tonight in the Pauley Ballroom.

“We want our students to know their options beyond just “lockdown” in case of an active shooter incident. What you know about how to respond can improve your chances of survival. This presentation will help you develop a plan and mentally prepare for an incident of targeted violence.”

Stay safe, Bears.

UC Berkeley