I felt the Bern in Riverside, CA

And it felt good

Tuesday I had the honor and privilege of attending a Bernie Sanders Rally near my hometown in Riverside, California. Sanders is gearing up to  speak to over 200,000 Californians over the next few days before the decisive California Primary election on June 7th. I had heard Senator Sanders speak two years ago in New York City during the People’s Climate March and at the time did not imagine I would be listening to him on his campaign trail for the presidency.

Although I was unsure of what to expect as it was my first presidential rally, I knew that Sanders would offer some message of hope that my generation desperately needs.

Thanks to my close friends from high school who were driven and determined to get good spots for the event, I was able to stand very close to the stage where Sanders was intended to speak. At 12 pm as the doors swung open, we happily shuffled to the standing room area where we first saw a banner that read ‘A Future To Believe In.’ The crowd up front mainly consisted of young people, particularly those from the Latinx community.

It was so exciting to see families from all different cultural backgrounds standing together in solidarity, ready to cheer and praise the movement the Sanders campaign built over the past year.

During the three hours that we were standing in anticipation, my friends and I were able to participate in cheers and chants from ‘Sí, se puede!’  and ‘feel the bern’ to ‘this is what democracy looks like!’- that were focused around giving power back to the American people and restoring democracy for all.  The audience was already building momentum within in the first hour and continued to sustain the high energy leading up to Sanders’ speech later that afternoon.

When Bernie finally arrived on stage, the crowd erupted in applause, and it was surreal to see the figure I had admired on television and radio for months, to materialize before my eyes. Although I had heard his speeches multiple times, it was like I was hearing him for the very first time. I was enamored with his sincerity, immediately noting that most of the issues and communities he would be discussing are those silenced and forgotten by mainstream corporate media.

He covered an array of critical issues facing Americans today, from systemic racism and immigration reform to climate change and student loan debt. He even addressed Bernie’s understanding of the blatant and parasitic nature of income inequality was incredibly inspiring and so vital to the conversations we need to be having in our country today.

He wants to push the American people, particularly the millenial generation to think outside of the box and change the system. Although it is easy to remain cynical, Bernie offers a message that hope is on the horizon and that it is not irrational or unobtainable. He also recognizes that his campaign was not about him, it was about us and our need to ignite a revolution to end the corruption and greed that has infected our nation.

Overall, the young people in the audience like myself were going wild for the light and heartfelt message Bernie offered us that afternoon. My friend John Gonzales was left speechless from Sanders’ call to action for our nation. He described that he felt “moved and stuck in a trance as [he] heard him speak. It seemed unreal that I was in the same room with someone who could be so humble while carrying a heavy heart!”

Courtney Smith from Chico State and Kelsey Knalson from the University of California, Riverside shared similar sentiments. Knalson offered, “It’s amazing what Bernie is doing in politics and the effect he has on people. Bernie is making a change in people’s lives just by running for presidency. The way he spoke was inspiring to all in the crowd and everyone who was at the rally felt as though they were a part of this political revolution. Everyone there was a Bernie supporter who wants to see a drastic change in American politics.”

Smith added, “The way that Bernie was able to engage and get the crowd going just from simple phrases or words was astonishing. It was really encouraging to see how much people cared and invested themselves in politics. As much as Bernie was able to get the crowd going, before he got there it was amazing to see how patriot and loyal people can be to one person.”

It was the best homecoming present I  could have asked for and I hope all young people who believe in a call for real, honest change in our future will go out to the polls on June 7th. It is up to our generation to stand up for the equality, justice, and liberation of the vulnerable and oppressed, it is up to us to not simply accept or conform to the status quo spun from a broken machine.

My friend Isadora Ocampo summed up her sentiments, “I felt enlightened all over again. It’s funny because it was my first time going to an event like that. I was so excited. It felt like a concert. But instead of letting myself go and dancing to my favorite band, I was a part of something bigger than that. I was reminded that our country faces too many issues that need care and attention. People need care and attention.

It reminded me that even though we all have our own little first world problems or worries, they are actually minuscule to the issues going on right now. It made me appreciate my own life and reminded me how powerful I am. How powerful you are. How powerful we all can be if we stick together and stand up.”

UC Berkeley