Tulane ranked number one in the nation for Community Service and Hard Liquor

We’ve got our priorities straight

If you’re looking for a place to do some good, change others’ lives for the better, and be completely blacked out while you do so- then Tulane is the place for you. Yes, that’s right folks, The Princeton Review is out with their new 2016-2017 rankings of the best colleges in America and the good ole Green Wave has won first place in Community Service Involvement and Hard Liquor.

I ask you: is there any better combination? If you’re wondering how this magical combination can exist in one school, let’s take a look at the facts… Louisiana is a state, itself, that takes pride in the ease with which drinking is a casual occurrence (read: any day, any time of the week, go for it because no one’s stopping ya) and this is clearly seen in its abundance of 18 and over bars, its incredibly cheap liquor (even fancy cocktails can be half the price of a NYC or LA drink), and the fact that Louisiana was one of the last states to raise the drinking age from 18 to 21 (and even then it was only to have federal highway funded- which if you’ve been here you know we NEED).

And as for the community service involvement on Tulane’s campus? Tulane has a requirement within every undergraduate student’s curriculum that they must participate in two courses with a “service learning” component; that means that one class between the 1000-3000 level and one class between the 3000-6000 must be taken with an outside engagement in the community consisting of 20-40 hours (though it can be more).

Painting entire houses in 98F isn’t easy.

Tulane isn’t perfect and sure as hell isn’t filled up with all goodie-two-shoes but it does hold a vast amount of people that care about being part of the greater community they live in – to escape the Tulane bubble isn’t only to see outside of college lifestyle, but it’s to afford the opportunity to discover this impeccably rich and decadent and enlivened city that we call home. We love New Orleans and so we’ll work for her- and yeah, we gonna get a lil (or a lot) crunk too.

Tulane